Male only and Female only subforum Mod?

Started by DeveloperMcD, March 17, 2017, 05:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeveloperMcD

My current forum has a "mens" and "womens" subforum, which are also not visible to guests or Google. A real nice feature, I think.

I have everything else set up in SMF, and I can't wait to release the new forum, but...

Any ideas for how to implement a gender-restricted subforum?

I only found one mod, and it specifically said "no 2.0 versions of SMF". Why has no one else made such a thing?
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1260

Illori

how can you prevent someone from registering the lying about their gender? you cant. anyway you try to do this you cant prevent a lier from getting in the board they should not be in.

if you search this forum you will find this has come up a few times with no solution as people can lie.

Kindred

Well,   as evidenced by the mod, it CAN be done...

However, it is pointless enough that it has not ever been ported to 2.0
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on March 17, 2017, 07:37:45 AM
Well,   as evidenced by the mod, it CAN be done...

that does not mean you cant select the other gender and get in their board.

Kindred

oh, I wasn't commenting on the usefulness of the action, just on the fact that it could be coded (and then remarked, as you did, on why it's not a popular mod that was ported up to 2.0.x)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

One course of action is to make two groups, let a user choose which one to go with and never let them change... though this doesn't prevent duplicate registrations...

So yeah, no good way.

DeveloperMcD

It's not foolproof, but there are ways to limit the problems. My forum has such a feature, and it works fine.
First of all, it's not like the men (or women) are discussing how they're going to take over the world. The women aren't posting nude pictures of themselves. Maybe it's the kind of forum I run.

So there's little incentive for a man to register as a woman, or vice-versa. It's already permanent, as you suggested. And I can see IP address, so that limits duplicates.

DeveloperMcD

Which source code file displays a sub-forum? That's where I'd have to modify.

Arantor

You need to modify so much more than that, because you need to handle every place where topics can be loaded: notifications, RSS feeds, latest posts, posts in other peoples' profiles, unread topics, updated topics...

It's also not permanent since in the default forum setup, it can be changed at will. My previous suggestion stands: do it with groups.

landyvlad

Quote from: DeveloperMcD on March 17, 2017, 01:24:09 PM
it's not like the men (or women) are discussing how they're going to take over the world.

You mean the women aren't telling the men they have already taken over the world, but we are too dumb to notice !  LOL 

And yeah Arantor's suggestion regarding GROUPS is the way to go.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Membergroups

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: