News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How hard to add 100 customized Smilies?

Started by DeveloperMcD, March 18, 2017, 10:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeveloperMcD

On my old forum, Mercuryboard (circa 2006), and many other boards, you had dozens of possible smilies, which were triggered by custom text like

:really-mad:
:frying-pan:
:alcohol:

etc.

It looks like all the smilie functionality of SMF is centered on a set-in-stone group of 20 ascii faces like ":-0" and so forth.
Even the features and mods I looked at (on the topic of "smilies") has been centered around this very limited set of 20!

Am I the only one who thinks that is extremely limited, and limiting?

How can I implement something like Mercuryboard had, where people click a smilie and it inserts it, via text like
:shooting:
:racecar:

and that is converted into actual smilies at display time, kind of like BBCode.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matthew

Kindred

You can add new smilies...   rad the FAQ/wiki
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

landyvlad

There are PLENTY of smileys out there, and uploading and managing them is pretty straight-forward.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Add_a_smiley_set

Best way to get smilies is to 'harvest' your favourites from other forums you are on, or google images, or there are a few smiley packs here and there.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: