News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Ho to stop child boards displaying within the parent forum

Started by faliro, March 19, 2017, 07:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faliro

As they do on here..

Couldn't find how to remove them from displaying inside the parent the forum. How to I remove the child boards from displaying inside the parent forum?

Kindred

Can you explain why?

You would have to edit messageIndex.template.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

faliro

Ease of use.

If someone wants to view a sub forum, they have the links of them on the main forum page. I don't really want members to have to scroll down a page within the parent forum - past all the displayed sub forums - just to get to the content they want.

I seem to remember an option for this, but can't remember where i saw it.

Illori

there is no default option for this. IMO not having the child boards listed once you enter the parent makes it take longer to get to the child board, also there would never be a listing to show what is the newest post in the child boards as you remove that function.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

faliro

Quote from: Illori on March 19, 2017, 09:17:05 AM
there is no default option for this. IMO not having the child boards listed once you enter the parent makes it take longer to get to the child board, also there would never be a listing to show what is the newest post in the child boards as you remove that function.

I don't see how that is possible. The child boards are specific to enquiry. The parent is the general. That is why every single forum I have ever been on has done it the way I want. No one needs to scroll down a list of sub forums they already decided not to click on..

lurkalot

Quote from: faliro on March 19, 2017, 10:28:27 AM

I don't see how that is possible. The child boards are specific to enquiry. The parent is the general. That is why every single forum I have ever been on has done it the way I want. No one needs to scroll down a list of sub forums they already decided not to click on..

Got an example ?

faliro

Yes my own forum.  Also this one.

For example. Say you need the albanian language section on here. The sub forum is already on the main index page. Its really simple. You just click on the Albanian forum et voila. However if your language is not listed and you need to use the parent forum only, every-single-time you go onto the parent forum, you have to scroll down through 29 sub forums, just to get to the parent forum posts and topics you want.

The reason no other forum does this is obvious.

Illori

every other forum software i have used has the child/sub boards listed the same way in the parent. i find it very useful. of course it can be removed as suggested above in messageindex.template.php but i would find it harder to navigate that way.

Kindred

As stated, I think that you are mistaken in your beliefs that this is a good idea or even desired...  but, also as stated, you can modify messageIndex.template.php to remove the display if you insist on it.

BTW, This site most certainly does not do that...
If you go to the parent Language board, you see all of the child boards listed
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=12.0
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

br360

If you don't feel comfortable editing your messageindex.template.php, you can take a look at this mod that adds the child boards on the bottom and underneath all the topics on the parent board- http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3076

faliro

Quote from: Kindred on March 19, 2017, 12:43:26 PM
As stated, I think that you are mistaken in your beliefs that this is a good idea or even desired...  but, also as stated, you can modify messageIndex.template.php to remove the display if you insist on it.

BTW, This site most certainly does not do that...
If you go to the parent Language board, you see all of the child boards listed
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=12.0

I know, that is why I used that as an example. Someone wanting to use the parent forum has to scroll down through 29 child boards to get to the posts they want...

Steve

You've been told how to do this and been given two alternate ways of handling child boards without any feedback from you. This thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

Quote from: faliro on March 20, 2017, 05:41:17 PM
I know, that is why I used that as an example. Someone wanting to use the parent forum has to scroll down through 29 child boards to get to the posts they want...

Except that is EXACTLY what we intend and we would never implement what you suggest...
(also, the parent board doesn't really have any posts --  so, with that many children, the parent is only acting as  new container.

If you have too many child boards, AND the parent board is used/active, maybe you should consider re-configuring your board order/layout instead of removing the display.
Слaва
Украинi

faliro

Quote from: Steve on March 20, 2017, 05:59:08 PM
You've been told how to do this and been given two alternate ways of handling child boards without any feedback from you. This thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

There was no answer I could use. I am sorry. However I am glad I started the thread to find that out. I certainly had absolutely no intention to make anyone emotional. People will have opinions in life - mine is that the system wastes space. Anyone who agrees or disagrees with that should realise we are not discussing something life changing. To those who informed me it can't be changed without editing the  messageindextemplate - thanks for the heads up!  :)

Quote from: Kindred on March 20, 2017, 07:11:50 PM
Quote from: faliro on March 20, 2017, 05:41:17 PM

Except that is EXACTLY what we intend and we would never implement what you suggest...

There are many things that can improved with debate. For example I am sure that most those using smf would like the whole child board label removed altogether and replaced with something more appropriate - like sub forums. That was one of the first things I changed.  As we say here in the UK - never say never!  ;D

Kindred

except "forums" is the wrong word...  they are boards... the whole software is a (singular) FORUM... therefore, subforums is the wrong word, entirely. :P
Слaва
Украинi

faliro

Quote from: Kindred on March 21, 2017, 06:13:01 PM
except "forums" is the wrong word...  they are boards...

Actually many companies and millions of people call forums - message boards. So... Using words like entirely, wrong and exactly - concerning non-binary concepts that are not set in stone is kind of redundant..  but I dig the passion. It is exactly this type of reason I chose SMF - you don't get this type of emotion with vbulletin who incidently use the phrase sub forum as do many other established forum companies!!   ;D

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

;D

Colin

You are right it is used loosely around the internet and different forum software.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Kindred

, but, as discussed in the chit chat topic..,   That use of the word is just plain incorrect....  :P
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: