News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Email notifications to members

Started by kathiemt, March 22, 2017, 01:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kathiemt

I've been using yahoogroups as an email based forum for members of my network. That system is now starting to fail and I need to find something else that will work. Some of my members are saying they would like a board forum but most just want to receive email notifications of posts and announcements.

Is it possible to do this with SMF? That is, set up a private board and any member can post to it but the emails go out to everyone to respond via email.

Arantor

SMF doesn't do respond via email and I don't know if there are any add-ons that do it. I know there are no plans to add it though.

kathiemt

Ok, thanks, guess that's that then. I'll keep searching. Thank you.

landyvlad

There are probably two issues to consider here.

I can foresee numerous problems with being able to 'start a topic' via email, so I doubt that any forum software would have this capability.

I can imagine that 'respond by email' might work so perhaps that functionality is out there somewhere. There would still be security vulnerabilities around email spoofing etc.

Personally I don't see it as a necessary or even useful feature however I can understand that some people can put a lot of energy into resisting change !  LOL 

Best of luck.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

kathiemt

Quote from: landyvlad on April 02, 2017, 10:43:42 PM
There are probably two issues to consider here.

I can foresee numerous problems with being able to 'start a topic' via email, so I doubt that any forum software would have this capability.

I can imagine that 'respond by email' might work so perhaps that functionality is out there somewhere. There would still be security vulnerabilities around email spoofing etc.

Personally I don't see it as a necessary or even useful feature however I can understand that some people can put a lot of energy into resisting change !  LOL 

Best of luck.

Thanks for the response. It's a closed group so I don't have problems with spammers - every single member is a paid member of a membership group I run and they need to be able to see the posts as soon as they are shared as it requires them to respond - it's work related. So email based is definitely what I need. We don't have problems with spoof emails or spam because emails sent from any address not approved/confirmed for the list don't get through. But I've had to resort to a mailing list function for now. Was hoping using SMF might be good as it would open other opportunities for discussions outside of work requests for the group.

landyvlad

Work related?  Perhaps YAMMER is exactly what you need.  It's kind of like facebook for intranet. Super easy for people to use. If your company uses Office 365 you should already have access to it !  https://products.office.com/en-au/yammer/yammer-overview

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

kathiemt

Quote from: landyvlad on April 02, 2017, 11:13:07 PM
Work related?  Perhaps YAMMER is exactly what you need.  It's kind of like facebook for intranet. Super easy for people to use. If your company uses Office 365 you should already have access to it !  https://products.office.com/en-au/yammer/yammer-overview

Thanks, no, we don't use Office 365. Most of us hate it  :)  But I'll check it out anyway, thank you.

Arantor

Even other platforms that do reply by email don't actually support start-topic-by-email for spam reasons.

Advertisement: