News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Delay on the forum updating

Started by shabbadoof, March 26, 2017, 06:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shabbadoof

Hi Guys

Last week I had an issue with my forum (large forum 4000+ users and over 90,000 posts!) and so had to install a fresh set of files while keeping the database intact

I've set the forum back up to how it used to be now and things are working fine with the exception of one major bug!

There seems to be some kind of delay on the forum.

Not in terms of usage as people can post and reply etc absolutely fine but in terms of things updating.

If someone posts a new post and I read that post it doesn't go from my 'unread posts' list for a good minute

If a new member needs manually approving I approve that member but the 'you have one member to approve' notice at the top doesn't go for a minute

If I make an alteration in a mod such a change a menu title of something I do it, hit save but it doesn't appear for another minute.

Any idea what's going on here please?

It wasn't doing this before I did had to install the fresh set of SMF files...

LiroyvH

Sounds like agressive caching. What are your settings on that aspect?
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

shabbadoof

I'm not sure (don't know where to find them) but the thing is the settings haven't changed since I did the fresh install

Infact I haven't changed any settings in the 3+ years the site has been running

I don't get why the site in itself works fine in terms of posting etc but it's just when you update things or threads update and have a NEW next to them that once you click on the thread it doesn't see it as being read for a good minute or two.

Same with when I approve new users as the notification stays at the top telling me about them until it goes about a minute later

shabbadoof

Just incase you mean my cache setting on SMF it's set to this

nend

Some caches are influenced by server load. Has there been a spike in load or page generation times?

Also noticed your using file based caching. The environment can influence the cache a little, for example opcode caches and if you possibly run multiple nodes.

I tend to have the node problem, since each node runs there own caches they are somewhat different. One impossible thing to do though is to get all nodes to flush their caches from PHP.

Might be worth checking your page headers and make sure the document isn't saying that it is ok to cache the page. This IMHO will be your best bet.

Kindred

Also, your host may have added a serverside cache system
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shabbadoof

Quote from: nend on March 26, 2017, 10:09:50 AM
Some caches are influenced by server load. Has there been a spike in load or page generation times?

Also noticed your using file based caching. The environment can influence the cache a little, for example opcode caches and if you possibly run multiple nodes.

I tend to have the node problem, since each node runs there own caches they are somewhat different. One impossible thing to do though is to get all nodes to flush their caches from PHP.

Might be worth checking your page headers and make sure the document isn't saying that it is ok to cache the page. This IMHO will be your best bet.

Hi Nend,

How do I check the page headers and what should I be looking for and potentially changing?

Advertisement: