Next unread post button ? Possible?

Started by landyvlad, March 29, 2017, 07:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

My members have asked if there can be a "Next Unread Post (Thread) button.

So essentially where the 'show unread posts since last visit' link shows a number of threads with new posts, they currently click on one, read the new posts in that thread, and then have to go back up to that link to get that list again.

It would be helpful, if possible, that when they finish reading that thread they can go to the next thread that has UNREAD posts.

(Currently there are, by default, a previous and next link (below the bottom post in a thread) to take them to the next thread but that happens whether it has new posts in it or not)

Hopefully my intention is clear.

Is such a thing possible and, if so, how please?

Thank you.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Arantor

Such a thing would be a major hit on your server to calculate. Unread posts is already one of the most expensive things as it is, and this would do it more frequently.

Suggestion: tell your members to open topics in a new tab by way of the middle mouse button.

landyvlad

That's fine mate, thank you.
At least I can say I asked... and that it can't be done..  :)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Arantor

Quote from: landyvlad on March 30, 2017, 03:29:50 AM
That's fine mate, thank you.
At least I can say I asked... and that it can't be done..  :)

It can be done. It just shouldn't.

Steve

I'll go ahead and mark this solved as the landyvlad's question has been answered. If you'd like to pursue this further landyvlad, by all means, mark it unsolved. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

landyvlad

Thanks Steve.

Arantor - love that reply ! :)

shawnb61

My forum die-hards had a similar discussion, and there were a few tricks they shared, that frankly, I hadn't known about...

(1) The icon next to "Recent Posts" on the home page gives you a list!  It doesn't have graphics, but it does have all posts in descending order.  See the circled icon on the attached image.  Try it!

(2) When using "unread posts since last visit", there is the uber-handy "last post" icon to the far right, that takes you right to where you want to go.  If you hit the BACK button, you come back to the list, and can hit the "last post" icon for the next topic.  2 clicks instead of 1, but it's fast and it works.

(3) Mobile...  When using "unread posts since last visit", the handy "last post" link isn't there on Responsive Curve...   Initial discussion was that made "unread posts" useless on mobile, as it was too hard to navigate to the last post.   Then...  One genius pointed out that there is a user profile option under Profile | Look and Layout for "Show most recent posts at top".   Select that, and navigating unread posts brings you immediately to the last post in each thread.  Same thing, 2 quick clicks, even on mobile (using Responsive Curve), to get to the next unread post. 

Clever bastards. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

landyvlad

thanks shawn I appreciate the info

I was trying to figure out what the heck you meant in (1) until I realised I have that turned off as I get info from TinyPortal instade  :lol:  Having looked yes that is useful, but telling people to use tiny icons rather than clicking on links is an uphill battle with my users.... :lol:

2. Yep that does work but people usually don't want to see the last post in a thread, they want to see the last unread posts.

3. Excellent, thanks.

Cheers

Advertisement: