News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Hiding board categories

Started by Peniwize, March 29, 2017, 10:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peniwize

I have searched the community and read so many posts I'm a bit dizzy! LOL but I am completely unable to hide all the board gategories but one from Newbie members. I've tried membergroup setting, board settings, category settings, all seem like I'm doing it right but a Newbie can still view the entire board.

Can someone give me some advice of something I may be missing?

Looking

You mean hide it from certain groups? Each board has its own permissions set via Admin.

Arantor

Also, newbie members are also in the Regular Members group, you need to hide it from them too.

Peniwize

I put the Newbie permissions as "inherint for Guests" and then unchecked all the boards I didn't want visible to newbies but they can still see them all.

Then when I go to each board and set permissions it still allows Newbies to see the whole board, even though guests can't

--- UPDATE---

I went through each board and removed Regular Members from visibility which worked the way I wanted it to but now Newbie can post, it's READ ONLY.

Illori

a post count group such as newbie are also in a primary group "regular members" so if regular members can see the boards the post count groups can as well.

Peniwize

When I took away regular members from board visibility, it also cancelled anyone from being to post

Kindred

Actually, board visibility and the ability to post are two separate things...

they might not be able to SEE the board, but they could, in theory, still post to it, if they have a direct link.

You should not control permission via visibility.
There are permissions profiles for a reason.

And remember - SMF uses an INCLUSIVE permission set.
if ONE group that the user belongs to has a permission ALLOWED, then that user will HAVE the permission, regardless of what any other groups DISALLOW.

ALL users who are not specifically assigned to a primary group belong to the "regular members" group.
Additionally, ALL users belong to one of the post-count-based groups.

So...   if you want to control posting via the users' post counts, then you need to DISALLOW permissions from the "regular members" group
and then DISALLOW permissions from the post-count groups which you do not want to have access to post
and then ALLOW permissions to the post-count groups which you WANT to have access to post.

If you want this access to a specific/per-board basis, then you need to create a board permissions profile with the correct combinations of pemrissions
  and then assign that profile to be used by the board (in the individual board settings)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dav999

Quote from: Kindred on March 31, 2017, 12:05:05 PM
Actually, board visibility and the ability to post are two separate things...

they might not be able to SEE the board, but they could, in theory, still post to it, if they have a direct link.

You should not control permission via visibility.
Unless you're talking about hiding boards from view by messing in the code, this is not true. If none of your groups are ticked in the settings for a board and you're not an admin, then it doesn't exist for you and you can't do anything in it, no matter what.

Arantor

Correct, all queries should additionally verify board access.

Advertisement: