News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

how to install buttons

Started by natcolley, November 04, 2005, 11:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natcolley

Ok, perhaps this is already on the site somewhere and this newbie just can't find it, but I want to use some of the buttons I see here. So once I download them, then what? How do I get them to operate on my site? Do I just put them in 'images' and they automatically start working? What is the STEP BY STEP process and where can I find it?

And while we are on the subject, what the heck is a 'package', and how come there are already some packages on my site? Am I supposed to be using/installing these? Why? And what the heck is chmod/777?

Ok, I know, too many different questions in one thread. The answer to the button install question will do for now.
thx

xenovanis

Quote from: natcolley on November 04, 2005, 11:35:46 AM
Ok, perhaps this is already on the site somewhere and this newbie just can't find it, but I want to use some of the buttons I see here. So once I download them, then what? How do I get them to operate on my site? Do I just put them in 'images' and they automatically start working? What is the STEP BY STEP process and where can I find it?

Just upload them to the images/languages directory of your theme, hit crtl+F5 to clear your cache and they should appear.

Quote from: natcolley on November 04, 2005, 11:35:46 AM
And while we are on the subject, what the heck is a 'package', and how come there are already some packages on my site? Am I supposed to be using/installing these? Why? And what the heck is chmod/777?

Did you install any mods or updates through the packagemanager?

How do I use chmod?
Why chmod 777 is NOT a security risk
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

natcolley

QuoteDid you install any mods or updates through the packagemanager?

No. Whatever it is was already there.

xenovanis

What exactly was already there?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

natcolley

mMood 1.0 1.0; Membergroup Color Legend 1.0; Quick Upload 2.1; and php 4.4.0 compatibility upgrade.

xenovanis

Just an overview of the last added mods on this site. They aren't installed on your forum, but you can install them.

natcolley

Thanx.

But may I trouble you for a couple of other things while I have your attention?

1. How do I get my IP to show as 'logged' rather than the actual address?

2. I am building my categories and topics as we speak. The name of my categories, however, does not show up on the (header?) where the user can collapse it. I changed the colors in css and they show up fine in other places (white on dark red). Why not here?

natcolley

hhhheeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppp!!!!!!!!   :'(

the buttons are not working. I just have those red x things in a white box...

xenovanis

Did you delete the themebuttons before you uploaded them? Are you sure they are in the right directory? Please post a link to your forum.

natcolley

my forum: www.tinytickets.com/forum

I can make the default and the classic work, but not the simple mini black. I have smf 1.0.5.
I have classic running now, but apparently it is missing some buttons, like news and user info.

natcolley

I have not deleted anything. I can set the images url to classic or default and I get buttons, but when I try to set it to my theme (theme1) I get nothing. I put the simple mini black under theme1/images/English but that does not work and then I tried AMA's platinum in theme1/images/platinum and still nothing.

JayBachatero

all you images are pointing to
http://tinytickets.com/forum/Themes/theme1/images/platinum/english/

so you have to move all the new buttons to /Themes/theme1/images/english/
and the other buttons go here /Themes/theme1/images/platinum/
smf looks for the english folder after /images/
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

natcolley

ok, i think maybe i am starting to get the hang of this. But how do i turn on the nondefault buttons like print, send, etc? I saw a place where I could turn on go up and go down, but not the rest. thank you.

xenovanis

Print and send are shown by default?

natcolley

yea, my mistake. i was looking for them on the board instead of inside the thread. hey, i'm still new....
;)

Advertisement: