Nothing Writeable?

Started by Cheese-Burger, November 06, 2005, 06:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheese-Burger

Being a total coward when it comes to coding, i installed a test download via fantastico which was fine. but when i tried to create another template i got a warning that none of the files were writeable. Can anyone clue me in as to what i need to do please.
Hate code. Love burgers

Mack10

Cheese-Burger

Quote from: Mack10 on November 06, 2005, 06:20:39 PM
CHMOD 777

Where and how exactly does one do this?
Hate code. Love burgers

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Cheese-Burger

Well i took a good look around, but i still can`t find where to sort this out  ::)
Hate code. Love burgers

xenovanis

You need to connect to your server with a ftp-client. Most ftp-clients, like FileZilla or TotalCommander, have an option to change your filepermissions. Look for something like Attributes, permissions or chmod in your clients menu.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Cheese-Burger

Ok i think i`ve got it now lol thanks. My ftp is somewhat odd in its layout.
Hate code. Love burgers

JayBachatero

Quote from: Cheese-Burger on November 07, 2005, 07:22:19 AM
Ok i think i`ve got it now lol thanks. My ftp is somewhat odd in its layout.

I recommend filezilla
http://filezilla.sf.net
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Cheese-Burger

Is there another file other than settings.php that needs to be chmodded before i can get another theme?

I`ve set settings.php to 777 and still get the same not writable error.
Hate code. Love burgers

xenovanis

Is your themesdirectory writable?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Cheese-Burger

Quote from: xenovanis on November 08, 2005, 04:29:13 AM
Is your themesdirectory writable?

It says not  :'(
But i cant seem to figure out how to make it writable  ::)
Hate code. Love burgers

xenovanis

The same way you chmodded you Settings.php file, use your ftp-client and set permissions to 777.  ;)

Cheese-Burger

The only thing i have in the themes dir is index.php and obviously the two defaults, SMF and YABB.

Unless of course i`m looking in the wrong place lol, which is smftest (name) /themes
Hate code. Love burgers

xenovanis

No, it's the /Themes directory itself that needs to be writable.

Cheese-Burger

Ahhhhhhh

And where is that sucker hiding?
Hate code. Love burgers

xenovanis

Well, you clicked on that as you opened it to find the default and classic directories, didn't you?

Cheese-Burger

Yes, but it wont let me chmod just the folder, and all that`s in there is index.php 0kbs file.
Hate code. Love burgers

xenovanis

How will it not let you chmod it? Do you get any errormessages if you try? Index.php shouldn't be 0 kb.

Cheese-Burger

I just dont get the option to chmod the folder. I can only chmod whats in a folder individually.
Hate code. Love burgers

xenovanis

Strange. I think you should switch to another ftp-client, this one seems to limit you in your options.

Try on of these:
FileZilla
Total Commander

Advertisement: