News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

I hate ******ing forums

Started by mimbo, November 28, 2005, 06:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mimbo

ok..I installed SMF 1.0.5 - I took away the "&" sign from the line of code in "sub.php" as instructed by lunar pages.  Then I changed the theme to classic.

Theme Settings - Classic YaBB SE Theme
Edit Theme
Modify the index template. (the main template)

Using this modify option above, I added banners, a drop down menu etc..everything was great. Then one time when I saved the edit (as I had done with no problems a number of times before) I suddenly got "parse errors".  No problem though right? I had made a back up of the original template, and just cut/paste it back in with plans to start from scratch adding my tweaks again. No go.  Parse errors galore..I tried switching themes..back and forth..just made more of a mess and finally had to uninstall-reinstall. I tried it again the second time..and as soon as I make the slightest change to the template now it's parse error galore. I'm afraid to make any tweaks now because I'm tired of re-installing.  What the hell? How can pasting the original php code not fix this? That makes no sense to me.

Also, I made a back up of my forum (members, posts, themes) from the admin. How do I upload it back?  I tried from the lunarpages c-panel..uploaded mysql from there..it said it was uploading, but then it finished and nothing had changed. I'm tired and stuck.

beemer

Can we have a link please

Its just possible it may be your hosting Co not you  :o
http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC1
MKP 1.1 RC1
Helios Multi RC1
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.thefishsheadnhorsesarse.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC2
TinyPortal 0.8.6

mimbo

oh, it's working fine so long as I don't make changes. It's so finicky..it could be ok with tweaks, then one more change and all of a sudden WHAM!...it's like playing russian roulette with code...I'm totally gun shy now. I don't think it's my host..maybe I need to do option 2 that lunar pages suggests...(removing the "&" sign from the line of code in "sub.php" is considered a quick fix) maybe that could be the problem..the board is unstable.

What do you think?

Dannii

Removing the & was a fix for PHP 4.4.0 only I think. But It wouldn't be causing the problems.
Are the problems cause by missing quotes or semicolons? Missing out those will cause sudden crashes.

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

mimbo

I don't know...I pasted the original template back and it still didn't work....

redone

When editing files make sure you are using either Notepad or a php editor. Don't use an HTML editor as they can often had code somewhere on your template and give you parse errors you can not intially see.

Providing your edits are made correctly and you are using a good clean editor you will not have problems. And what is mentioned above about the & sign is a php compatibility fix and not something related to your templates.

If you needed the php fix you would know because your fourm would not work at all.

;)

MAZZA

mimbo

Template Parse Error!
There was a problem loading the /Themes/default/index.template.php template or language file. Please check the syntax and try again - remember, single quotes (') often have to be escaped with a slash (\). To see more specific error information from PHP, try accessing the file directly.

You may want to try to refresh this page or use the default theme.

and this error...

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home/gentl5/public_html/forum/Themes/default/index.template.php on line 56

I was using note pad to cut paste from.  Anyway, now it has gone all to ****** again because I changed some keywords...and I will have to uninstall re-install again.

Can somebody paste the default php template code for me, (the one with the meta keywords) so I can edit it on my ftp server..I can't login in to my admin anymore..then atleast I can have the basic default forum up until I can figure this out.

thx

Dannii

QuoteParse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home/gentl5/public_html/forum/Themes/default/index.template.php on line 56
You're missing quotes or semicolons somewhere just as I guessed. Be very careful when editing php, upload through ftp and ALWAYS have a backup.

You shouldn't need to reinstall. Just copy all the source and template php files. Don't run install.php

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

beemer

Brags

You should not need to reinstall just upload the files you are breaking with a clean one from the download zip.

TIP
Make a copy of the default template to test any changes you make!
http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC1
MKP 1.1 RC1
Helios Multi RC1
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.thefishsheadnhorsesarse.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC2
TinyPortal 0.8.6

mimbo

ok, I had to re-install because my ws ftp trial ran out and you can't upload (to my knowledge) entire folders with lunar pages ftp system. What a convience that is...

Anyway, I downloaded and unzipped the forum, so I have a copy locally. So, I should refrain from using the administrative edit like I was?  Should I make my template index changes locally in notepad (ad baners, change keywords etc..) and then over write the existing one?

If so,  what are the chomdes for that upload?

Thx guys/gals

redone

Avoid uploading files with things like the ftp manager in a cpanel or anything like that. You can download perfectly good and free ftp programs like these:

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
http://www.smartftp.com/

Remember you only need to upload a replacement file when you break something! You do not need to upload the whole forum again or in many cases even a whole theme.

Best advice I can offer is keep a clean and working copy of the file you are trying to edit locally say index.template.php and just upload that when you need it. Renaming the working copy to index.template.php~ on your server works too!

Good luck.

;)

Fizzy

I sympathise with you brags. I binned lunarpages for similar reasons.
Please tell me you were not making the changes to files from within lunarpages Cpanel file editor? If so, there's your problem.
Every time I tried to use it it hosed my whole forum. Best stick to direct FTP or use something like HTMLKit
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Oldiesmann

www.net2ftp.com and www.www2ftp.com (two unrelated sites) are two web-based FTP services that are great for modifying files directly on the server. Net2FTP is also a script that you can download and install yourself - see www.net2ftp.org for more info on that.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

mimbo

Thanks everbody for your input..I know I come off a bit brash..

and fizzy..I hear ya on that..but I was actually making the changes through my smf admin area..the best way I can describe it is from that scene in castaway, just before the plane went down..everything is calm and cool..then crash! I'm hanging onto the urinal for my life..

I have avoided making tweaks for now. I guess all I need to know is if I make the changes locally and ovewrite the specific file thru ws ftp or another ftp program, do I need to change the chmode?

index.template.php is the file I'm referring to, as that is the one I edit right?..ie..keywords and customizing my site.

redone

No you don't need to chmod your index.template if that was your question.

And for customizing for keywords etc then yes this is the file you need to change. To save frustation when editing and testing stuff always keep a clean local copy so you can just ftp back a working one.

Good luck!

:)

Advertisement: