problems with php

Started by danstap, November 28, 2005, 08:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danstap

i haven't got a clue what or how php is really, i just want to get a forum up and running on a server,,, whenever i point the brower to hxxp:myserver.com/forum/install.php [nonactive] all i get is the usual download window with the option of opening or saving the file.. i assume this means my server doesnt have php installed but ive no idea how to set that up,.. tried the php 5.1.0 installer file from hxxp:php.org [nonactive] but from what i can make out it seems that its just meant for running on the server itself, all i have is ftp access.

any easy options? i can't be bothered to faff around with php too long!

thanks

Thantos

Installing php is something the server admin will have to do.  Its kinda rare to find a host that doesn't have php but to test it you can do this:

Create a file called:  phpinfo.php
Inside the file put: <?php phpinfo(); ?>
Upload it to your site
Try to open that page.
If you get a bunch of information with the php logo at the top you have php installed on the server.
If you don't, then the host doesn't have it installed and you'll need to contact the admin.

danstap

it still just tries to open/save it like any other file thats not html, either way i just get the code in internet explorer... so i guess that means it must be the server, given that this forum here is working on my computer?

all of those php/apache binaries insignificant, i mean the problems all server side right and not my computer?

thanks

danstap

see for yourself infact mike....

hxxp:www.apussc.co.uk/forum/phpinfo.php [nonactive]

danstap

doesn't make any sense because the admin login page i use to access the mailing lists, usernames etc is a php page...

hxxp:www.apussc.co.uk:444/login.php [nonactive]

weird.

Thantos

You are going to have to talk to your host.  This is definatly their issue.

Oldiesmann

The login URL is most likely pointing to a different server, although it's not real fair that they use a PHP-based site without giving you access to PHP.

According to http://www.123-reg.co.uk/host.shtml, they don't offer PHP. Their "sister company" does offer PHP though, so you might want to consider hosting with them instead.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: