News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Combine two phpBBs into one SMF conversion...

Started by rChesley, December 04, 2005, 06:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rChesley

I am new to SMF. The forum members, option to become a charter member, and SMF features were deciding factor for me.
I am amazed how easy it was to setup compared with phpBB -- just what forum members said!

I also installed and ran phpbb2_to_smf.php -- the conversion ran great, so I could be up and running except for a few details...

My phpBB forum was hacked so I restored an older backup to get back all the deleted forums/posts and deleted members data.
I converted/imported the older database already. I would like to also "add" posts and new members from the more recent hacked database into the SMF database. Is there any way to do this and not overwrite the existing data?

If there is not, I am also open to a solution that would combine the two phpBB databases into one before running the conversion to SMF if that is an easier solution.

I am looking for some options to get this done before I present the new solution to members. 

If there is a way to globally add all users to a specific SMF group such as Standard Members during the import process, I would like to do it. I did also wonder if it is easier to just rename the php groups, but I want to be rid of all php related references as soon as possible. Since I am new to SMF, I have only been able to do a find users (where I can use wildcards) and manually type the names into the List of members to add box, but it is terribly inefficient with over 250 members. I am sure I have missed something or will be requesting a few features...

More information and specifics are available if anyone wants to help me out.

Oldiesmann

You will need to find a way to combine both phpBB databases into one. It's a pain to merge two different SMF databases into one.

To add all users to a specific membergroup, you'll have to run a query in phpMyAdmin:

UPDATE smf_members SET ID_GROUP = 'groupid' WHERE ID_GROUP = '0';

Replace groupid with the actual ID of that particular group.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

rChesley

There must be a way to do some of what I want...

In a previous post, (admittedly I am snatching at straws), you said:

Re: Convert only phpBB users
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 11:06:50 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can always delete everything in phpBB except the users, then do the conversion...

So my question is this:

If I was to restore my more recent phpBB2 db and then identify the tables with users and the posted topics in the forums, would I be able to import them and not lose anything from the SMF database I currently have?

Oldiesmann

Unfortunately you would still lose that information from your current SMF install, as the converter empties out the tables before converting the data. Otherwise there might be collisions, and merging two seperate SMF installs isn't that easy to do.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: