News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Member map pins are in the wrong countries now!

Started by perplexed, December 08, 2005, 12:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perplexed

I have this installed however, suddenly when you look at the member map, everyone's flags are in the wrong place.  ie all the US people are now in the middle of the ocean and all the UK people are in Africa.  All the maps are slighly off by an inch or two!

This is only happening in IE, in Opera they are all where they should be!

Any ideas how this happens and how to fix it?  Members are getting annoyed and it's putting people off using it at all :(

Thanks

xenovanis

Please ask any questions about the Location Mod in the topic about this mod. Thanks.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

perplexed

I asked this question 3 times already and PMed the mod writer but still have had no reply after more than two months, so I thought I was supposed to start my own topic as I was told this before.

Thanks

Harelin

Hey elliel -

Just a shot in the dark, but do you perhaps have Google advertisements or something along those lines loading on the page ABOVE the map?  Something that connects to another server and might load after the rest of the page has already appeared?  If so, this would cause your displacement and you should remove it to see whether that makes the difference.

perplexed

hmmm no google ads or anything like that

I only have a site banner but I could check the size and see if that makes any difference

everything looks fine on opera though, its just off on IE

Harelin

Try quickly <noscript>ing the code where the banner appears and see whether you notice any difference - can't hurt.

1948Pal

How 'bout trying the simplest things first? Like refreshing the page.
"No matter how long the river, the river will reach the sea".
Eugene Fitch Ware

Harelin

Quote from: perplexed on February 04, 2006, 10:15:36 AM
lol I have no idea what you just said, can you explain please?

If the banner ad or any large image is taking a long time to load (particularly if it's located on a different server), it may bump the map down AFTER the pins have already loaded - and the pins will not follow.  If you look closely, you may see this.  In any case, you can test it by removing any large images from your page that are located above the map (you can do so without making major modification to the code by just putting noscript tags around them) and seeing if you get different results.

perplexed

thanks for your replies

I tried the removing the banner but it made no difference, as the banner is always the same size and the problem only started happening

now since we installed the fix to stop the firefox bug, the member dots are now appearing in one straight line on the right hand side of the screen and are not in a country at all!

I think maybe I should just give up on this mod lol

Advertisement: