News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Attachments not showing or downloading! please help!

Started by gothgirrl, December 17, 2005, 08:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gothgirrl

Hi. I am running a SMF/TinyPortal site at hxxp:uber.8lo.net [nonactive] and have been trying to get the attachments working properly for some time now. The forum is uploading the attachments just fine: they are in the attachment folder and I can view them straight from the full URL ( hxxp:uber.8lo.net/attachments/homeland_security.jpg [nonactive] ) but as you can see, the attachment shows as a broken image and the download link doesn't work properly when you view it in the thread: hxxp:uber.8lo.net/index.php?topic=13.0 [nonactive]

I set the attachment size limits for both the dimensions and actual byte count insanely high for testing to make sure that the permissions weren't the problem. I have disabled compressed output as my host doesn't support that feature, but according to my php_info() checks, everything else needed to run the forum and process the attachments are all in working order.

This is a website for my World of Warcraft guild ( hxxp:www.worldofwarcraft.com [nonactive] ) and we are really looking for a great way to share our in-game screenshots with eachother. I tried Coppermine and used it's bridging tool a few weeks ago. It didn't work, to say the least, and I had to completely reinstall the entire site from scratch afterwards. I have checked out a ton of other galleries and haven't found anything that would allow the functionality we need while still using the SMF members and theme (SMF gallery mod coming out anytime soon? ;) ) So we had figured that using attachments in the forum was the next best thing, but they just won't work! I used to use MyeGallery with PHP-Nuke but have fallen in love with SMF!! Even if we do find a gallery to use, it will still be nice to be able to use the attachments in our forum...

Is this a common issue and I just haven't seen the right threads on how to fix it or do I need to get into some code and see what I can do? Any help is very appreciated!!!

Kristen
~~ Kristen

Sheepy

If you've edited subs.php, one thing I've encountered before is there's a list of non-english characters that get converted.  The list is used in the process of acquiring the final attachment file name.  If your editor does not play nice with it, all SMF attachment (including avatars) would be lost until you put it back.  I eventually made a new file so I won't accidently change it again.

gothgirrl

Thanks sheepy! I don't think that my subs file has been changed but I will upload a fresh one just in case. The file uploads (and avatar uploads too now that you mention it!) haven't worked since the first test on a fresh install before even the first mod was added :(

I'm working on a gallery script using some snippets of old code I wrote a long time ago and some new bits of info I learned from some tutorials on this site! Still need to learn more about the theming engine so it will fit in with themes other than the one I use ;) and how to set it up as a true mod (installable through the admin panel). If anyone wants to chip in some help on getting these things done, we can (of course!) share credit for the mod and make it available here. Any takers? ;)
~~ Kristen

xenovanis

Is your forum url correct in Admin -> Edit Server Settings?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Advertisement: