Total novice here

Started by causedujour, December 19, 2005, 10:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

causedujour

I installed our first board through CPanel and Fantastico...and not too long after it started giving us a wierd set of errors. In my silly arrogance, I could try to fix it myself. Instead I ended up deleting the folder we had the smf stuff in. So I downloaded a new install and ftp'd it up to the server, entered the information to connect to the database, and now I am getting this.

hxxp:heathenhandbook.com/messageboard [nonactive]

Any clue where I should start to look for how to fix it?

Bigguy

Did you install the same version as what fantastico installed ??? You installed smf 1.1rc1 and I think the fantastico version is 1.0.5 isnt it ???

Oldiesmann

What seems to be the problem? Everything seems to be working fine.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

causedujour

The errors we got that shut our board down, came really out of nowhere, no one had been playing with the files or anything, just one day this:

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/heathe8/public_html/messageboard/Sources/Subs.php on line 232

Notice: Undefined index: is_admin
in /home/heathe8/public_html/messageboard/Sources/Security.php on line 556

Notice: Undefined index: permissions
in /home/heathe8/public_html/messageboard/Sources/Security.php on line 563

Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument
in /home/heathe8/public_html/messageboard/Sources/Security.php on line 563 session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/heathe8/public_html/messageboard/Sources/Subs.php:232)

So I went to try to replace the Subs.php and Security.php files. It didn't work.
So I decided what the heck, we'll try to update to the newest release.

Instead, I appeared to have downloaded the whole package instead of the update, so the files that connect to the database were looking for some string with the old version, I'm guessing. What I did to fix it was to go back and find the "upgrade" file from the upgrade zip package and run it to update the database files, then everything worked out fine.   When I posted here I was at the stage of having installed the new version of smf, but not run the update or upgrade php file to connect to the databae.  It looked ok when it was wrong, just a big empty box in the middle with the words that it couldn't connect to the database and to refresh, and if the problem persisted, contact an admin.

Actually, I don't understand all of the technology behind it, I think I described it correctly, I'm just a beginner in database and scripting classes, so bear with my loose terminology....all I know is that it finally worked, and thanks so much for taking a look!

Next step, I have an old board from a bad phpbb hack over the summer I'd like to put back up, I'm wondering how hard it will be to convert it to the smf format. I'll be reading up on that, so if you could point me in the general direction of any forum posts, or helpful hints, I'd sure appreciate it!

Elmacik

Home of Elmacik

Advertisement: