News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Merging Members from one SMF Forum to another SMF Forum

Started by lumana, December 24, 2005, 06:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumana

I looked through the site but cant find anyhting, if you can please point me in te right direction if this has been answered it would be fantastic..

Anywya, I currently have two boards, but I only want to merge the members of one board to the other board.... how can i do it... I will need detailed directions cause i dunno what im doing.

lumana

Ok, I found this:

Quote from: MonteCarloHosting on October 23, 2004, 08:41:02 PM
The Members are easy, you just backup the old smf_members table, and put it back into your new database. Posts, however, are not that easy, becuase they and the categories they are in co-incide, that is, if the categories of the two forums aren't the same, your posts would go somewhere else then where you intended.

Hope this helps,
Christian ;-)

But how do I back it up???

Oldiesmann

The easiest way is to do this:

1. Drop the ID_MEMBER column from the old table (the one you'll be merging into the existing table):

ALTER TABLE prefix_members DROP COLUMN ID_MEMBER;

2. Dump only that table. In phpMyAdmin, click on that table in the left-hand column, then click on the "Export" tab in the main frame. Select to export only the data.

3. Import this into the new table - select the database with the table that you'll be importing the members into, and click on the "SQL" tab in the main window.

4. Browse to the sql file you saved and click on "Go".

This will import all the new members and automatically assign the member ID so they don't collide with existing members.

However, this won't import theme options, PMs, attachments or uploaded avatars.

In order for this to work, both tables must have the same name, and both must be from the same version of SMF (or passwords won't work).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

lumana

This is probably really simple but I cant figure it out....

How do I exactly drop the ID_MEMBER field from the SMF_MEMBERS table?

Advertisement: