News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Bridge Xoops-SMF 1.1 RC3 Beta 1

Started by Orstio, December 31, 2005, 03:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orstio

Attached is the Xoops-SMF bridge.  Unzip it, and upload the "smf" folder to your Xoops modules folder.  Install it in your Xoops administration panel as you would any other component.

Then configure the module, and make sure that the bridge login block is visible, and the default Xoops login is not visible.

There are no additional blocks with this release.

Thanks for your patience.

[Update 1/14/06 -- Some bugs fixed.  "Unwrapped" pages (e.g. printpage, find members, spellchecker, etc.) are now functional.  Still some problems with sessions that will cause the annoying login in the admin panel on each click.]

[Update 7/12/06 -- Alpha 3, now compatible with Xoops 2.0.14. ]

[Update 10/28/06 -- Beta 1, uses Xoops native login method with the bridge login block. ]

This bridge is released under the terms ofthe Simple Machines license.  Please do not redistribute.

Orstio

To configure the bridge module:

Go to your Xoops admin panel.  Hold your mouse over the SMF icon.  This should bring up a popup menu.  Click on "Preferences". 

Enter the absolute path to SMF in the textbox, and click Save.

This will tell Xoops where you have installed SMF.

X-Ception

Excellent work, as ever.

i have but one question, importing exsisting users data ? is this doneon login or is there an extra step to this, at the moment all i see in the mlist is my SMF install admin account.
Joolo.net social community and irc network / Yowzar - random subject forum

X-Ception

all help entries appear to be blank or atleast in
*/modules/smf/index.php?action=featuresettings - yet to check elsewhere,

profile page is basically a mass crush so best displayed without any side blocks at all - which isnt a bad thing

in pms find member is blank

Orstio

Quotei have but one question, importing exsisting users data ? is this doneon login or is there an extra step to this, at the moment all i see in the mlist is my SMF install admin account.

Yes, users are ported upon login.  I believe if you want, there may be a NewBB to SMF convertor available that should transfer all your users from Xoops to SMF.

Quoteall help entries appear to be blank or atleast in
*/modules/smf/index.php?action=featuresettings - yet to check elsewhere,

profile page is basically a mass crush so best displayed without any side blocks at all - which isnt a bad thing

in pms find member is blank

Thanks.  I'll need to work on those unwrapped links.  :)

But, I'm not sure that I can do anything about the profile page.  That is most likely theme-dependent.

X-Ception

As for theme yep thats expected not really a bug just "one of those things" a pass comment if you will.

In respect to login thanks i wasnt sure about that, my assumptions lead me to say that when building your forums you should use the same username and pass you use for xoops and it wont create duplicated admin accounts ?

As for newBB god no, its great work but its ugly ( sorry ) - ive been using IPB-X ( http://www.bbpixel.com )

Orstio

What I was saying is that I think the NewBB to SMF convertor will work to convert Xoops users to SMF users, regardless of whether you actually use NewBB.

Thanks for the testing, BTW.  You're the first to try it and give feedback.  :)

X-Ception

Quote from: Orstio on December 31, 2005, 07:52:33 PM
What I was saying is that I think the NewBB to SMF convertor will work to convert Xoops users to SMF users, regardless of whether you actually use NewBB.
i cant imagine the newbb one will work as ipb-x uses the orginal ipb tables so as such its similar to smf just a bit much more of a pain when it comes to update time thus the smf bridge is a great idea and its good to see it has been done without tampering with the core of either product :)

QuoteThanks for the testing, BTW.  You're the first to try it and give feedback.  :)
Anytime, im a huge fan of the SMF development teams recent developments, i always do find myself suprised with what you come up with never the expected such a xoops bridge :)

in respect to the bridge itself its very well worked and does work perfectly other than the above mentioned links of course. taking on board SSI.php too i cant imagine blocks will be hard to create.

all thats missing are docs for those really for the obvious questions ( such as user transfer etc )

X-Ception

Ok this one is possibly just me, on stats ( Forum History (using forum time offset) )
clicking on the urm whats it called shrink doo dar it shrinks the month data up, but getting it back down takes a refresh, only reason i mention this is becouse it seems to only happen with that one area.
edit
i do think the above one is myself, using FF 1.0.7 ( linux FC4)
SE urls also dont appear to work

Ajax editing - i think its called that at least - its late, doesnt work

Orstio

QuoteSE urls also dont appear to work

That's SMF's SEF URLs?  No, that won't work.  Xoops would have no way of parsing that correctly.

I haven't seen a Xoops SEF engine.  If there is one, I can probably do some work to get it running on the bridge.

X-Ception

yes it is SMF ones sorry and for xoops there is one, it was never that very good tho, i dont think many people use it but you can find it here -
Xoops short urls - if i remember correctly it rewrote urm everything including admin panel, and everything else didnt want re-writing was some time ago tho since i looked at but thats only one i know of that was ever used for xoops.

X-Ception

Lance_

Excellent work, thanks for this.

First couple of observations on my 2.0.13.2 install of xoops.

The smf login block doesn't log me in.

The smf logout doesn't log me out of the forum. Xoops logout either.

When I make changes in admin, themes for example, the admin password is asked at every page refresh. The changes take effect, just need to enter the password again and again.

Overall, this is still pretty sweet.

Orstio

QuoteThe smf login block doesn't log me in.

The smf logout doesn't log me out of the forum. Xoops logout either.

That's odd.  No error message?

banned

Quote from: Orstio on December 31, 2005, 08:20:59 PM
QuoteSE urls also dont appear to work

That's SMF's SEF URLs?  No, that won't work.  Xoops would have no way of parsing that correctly.

I haven't seen a Xoops SEF engine.  If there is one, I can probably do some work to get it running on the bridge.

I don't know the SMF method for SEF URLs, but give a try..

file XOOPS_ROOT_PATH/include/commons.php
find
$xoopsRequestUri = $_SERVER[ 'REQUEST_URI' ];       // Deprecated (use the corrected $_SERVER variable now)
replace with
$xoopsRequestUri = $_SERVER[ 'SCRIPT_NAME' ];       // Deprecated (use the corrected $_SERVER variable now)

banned,
(I use this for my SEF ;) )

Lance_

Hey,

to continue from my above post. Logout from SMF logs me out of xoops but when going back to the forum I still look logged in. Not withstanding the problem described below.

When trying to access the forum not logged in, my forum doesn't show after the Home link, seems a closing tag must be errant somewhere. Works fine when logged in though.

When logged in I get the following notices from php debug from xoops.

Notice [PHP]: Undefined index: rand_code in file modules/smf/index.php line 82

Warning [PHP]: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used after 'URL-Rewriter' in file /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/forum/index.php line 114

When going to the forum the background color and some fonts is overwritten off the xoops theme's css, is there away to not have that happen without having to manually modify the forum css? I'd really like to simply install SMF themes without having to modify.

Cheers.

Orstio

Quoteto continue from my above post. Logout from SMF logs me out of xoops but when going back to the forum I still look logged in. Not withstanding the problem described below.

Try changing your setting in SMF for subdomain independent cookies.

QuoteWhen trying to access the forum not logged in, my forum doesn't show after the Home link, seems a closing tag must be errant somewhere. Works fine when logged in though.

You mean in the menu?  You need to set that in your Xoops admin panel so that anonymous users can see it.

When logged in I get the following notices from php debug from xoops.

Turn off compressed output in SMF.

When going to the forum the background color and some fonts is overwritten off the xoops theme's css, is there away to not have that happen without having to manually modify the forum css? I'd really like to simply install SMF themes without having to modify.

Yeah, that's the same as with Mambo/Joomla.  THere is no way the bridge can know which CSS values you happen to want to be using.  You need to edit that yourself for your site.

Lance_

Aight,

Checking subdomain independent cookies seems to have fixed the SMF login-logout issue.
The only remaining thing to know is that in xoops we have the user menu with the View Account, and Logout. This logout doesn't logout of SMF. Is there a way to fix this or add a block in the bridge to mimick the user menu and have the smf logout link in it?

Above is the problem I was hinting in my post about there being a closing tag somewhere it shouldn't. Actually turning off compressed ouput has fixed this problem. It has also fixed the error notice.

Cool about the CSS, changes are easy enough to make.

Cheers.

Lance_

Oh yeah forgot,

In admin the password is still asked on every screen change.

Not really a biggie, cause the main admining can be done by going directly to the forum, just wanted to let you know.

While I'm typing here, is there any thought put through bridginh the smf user with the xoops user. Just so not to have to enter info twice. I'd see being able in SMF bridge Admin to be able to link the SMF user fileds with those created in the xoops 2.2 Extended Profiles section.

Thanks again.

Lance_

When clicking the Register in the SMF bridge, we get to the SMF register page. Trying to register through here gives me a white page and  error

2: Wrong parameter count for mysql_query()
File: /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/modules/smf/index.php

Setting a new password works by copy pasting the link. (the link in the email didn't transfer fully, although I'm not sure if it's a proggy problem) However it changes the password only on the SMF user profile not the xoops one. Although login works fine in both sections from it. By trying to login on the xoops side the password is wrong.

:)

Advertisement: