News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Joomla Bridge FAQ

Started by Orstio, December 31, 2005, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orstio

Quotecould this be because of the group synch function?

Yes.  The Group Synch function changes your Mambo/Joomla group to whatever you have assigned in the Group Synch tab.  So, if those Authors were just Newbie members in SMF, and you had the Group Synch tab set up to synch SMF Newbies = Mambo/Joomla Registered, then ALL SMF Newbies would be changed to Mambo/Joomla Registered.

If you do not necessarily want ALL users of a certain group to be synched the same, then don't click the Group Synch button.

Orstio

The Synch Tab:  What the buttons DO, and what they DON'T.

Since people seem to be very, very confused about the Synch Tab buttons, what they are for, and why they run into problems when they do not use them correctly, here are some brief descriptions about them:

Migrate Mambo/Joomla Users to SMF

What it DOES:  This button will instantly migrate ALL users that are ALREADY in Mambo/Joomla to SMF.

What it DOES NOT:  This button will not change the username of an existing user to give it permissions.  For example, if your admin username in SMF is "smf_admin", and your super admin in Joomla is "Administrator", it will not see that as the same user.  This button will also not "tie together" users.  There is no need to tie together users.  This button also has no effect on future users, because there is no need for it for future users.  The bridge takes care of all new registrations without the need for mass migration scripting.

Migrate SMF Users to Mambo/Joomla

What it DOES:  This button will instantly migrate ALL users that are ALREADY in SMF to Mambo/Joomla.

What it DOES NOT:  This button will not change the username of an existing user to give it permissions.  For example, if your admin username in SMF is "smf_admin", and your super admin in Joomla is "Administrator", it will not see that as the same user.  This button will also not "tie together" users.  There is no need to tie together users.  This button also has no effect on future users, because there is no need for it for future users.  The bridge takes care of all new registrations without the need for mass migration scripting.

If your users are already in both Joomla and SMF, there is absolutely no need to click either of the two buttons described above.  Even if they are not in both Joomla and SMF, they will migrate themselves as they login for the first time, so there really is never an actual NEED to click either of them.  They are there only for the convenience of migrating ALL USERS AT ONCE, instead of waiting for them to login.

Synchronize Mambo/Joomla groups according to saved settings

What it DOES:  This button will change your users' group settings in Mambo/Joomla to match whatever you have set in the Groups tab.  So, for example, if a user named "Jimmy" is part of the "Newbie" group in SMF, and the setting in the Groups tab for SMF Newbie is "Registered" for Mambo/Joomla, "Jimmy" will be changed to group "Registered" in Mambo/Joomla.  This is true, even if Jimmy is a super admin in Joomla.

What it DOES NOT:  This button will not change your SMF user groups to match your Mambo/Joomla groups.  This button will not care if you have set the Groups tab to change all of your super admins to registered users instead.  This button will not "match up" usernames that are not the same, e.g. if your administrator in SMF is "smf_admin", and your super admin in Mambo/Joomla is "Administrator", it will not assign the group from "smf_admin" to "Administrator".

Daniel MD

Excellent explanation, it anwsers all the question i had, thank you for this entry Orstio  :)

nealparr

Hey, this thread contains really important information that wasn't included in the install notes. I installed the bridge and thought everything was working properly. My only issue is that it didn't keep me logged in all the time. I thought that was just a bug or unsupported feature. I didn't realize until reading this thread that it was because my cookie storage was set to local.

Thanks!

Recommendation: Make these notes part of the install package.

Kindred

These notes (and the combined readme) change with every release of the bridge and get added to as needed.  Including them in the release would confuse users even further because they would think that they had all the answers in front of them...

No, the only thing I think needs to be included in the relase notes is a statement that says "if you have questions or problems, log in to simplemachines.org, and read the sticky posts in the mambo/joomla support area before asking."
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kathisharpe

Could I suggest that you put in big red letters @ the bottom of each of the docs "if you need help come to" and the URL to this forum (not this thread, obviously) - ?

digitraf

Where can i find the new bridge for mambo smf 1.1 R2????

Vik

permutations

Quote from: Orstio on April 14, 2006, 06:12:08 PM
I'd like to rebut:  NEVER open your SMF index.template.php file in DreamWeaver or FrontPage, unless you really don't like your forum, and never want it to work again.

That's a silly statement. I forked SMF on my site and did drastic modifications in Dreamweaver. You probably have Dreamweaver set for Windows CR's or something.

oblio

I'm using SMF1.1RC2 with Joomla 1.08. Which login should I use (which one is recommended)? SMF, Joomla, Community Bridge? Logging in in SMF doesn't seem to login to Joomla, anyway :(

shawn122

Always use the "mod_smf_login"  This is installed by default when you install your specific bridge.
SB Creations - http://www.shawnbinda.com

hayateen

Hi,

I used the bridge and followed the instruction, and I got this:

QuoteWarning: smf_header_include(../forum/SSI.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\joomla\mambots\system\SMF_header_include.php on line 67

Fatal error: smf_header_include(): Failed opening required '../forum/SSI.php' (include_path='.;C:/Program Files/EasyPHP1-8\php\pear\') in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\joomla\mambots\system\SMF_header_include.php on line 67

What should I do?

Orstio

Frantzk

Hi,

I had the same problem that hayateen.
I solved it with replacing the code on line 67
require_once ($smf_path."/SSI.php");
with a code like
my_smf_folder/SSI.php
I d'ont know if it's the good way but it works on my local install.

Orstio

No, instead of playing with the code, go to your Joomla admin panel, go to the Components menu, go to the SMF Bridge, and click on Edit Config.

There, you need to put in the absolute path to SMF.  Make sure to click Save.

ormuz

FAQ -> The discussbot works with the last version?

EDIT: YES, it works :)

lol

baladeva

dont know - if it was mentioned somewhere

<!--How to have dynamic titles in Joomla-SMF bridge?-->
http://www.joomlaspan.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,162/topic,136.0

Kindred

Quote from: baladeva on September 19, 2006, 08:05:51 AM
dont know - if it was mentioned somewhere

<!--How to have dynamic titles in Joomla-SMF bridge?-->

hmmm.... it's only mentioned in a STICKY post....
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=81152.msg541379#msg541379
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Orstio

This is a warning regarding RocketThemes SMF themes:

RocketThemes SMF themes that claim this:

"Once again this template contains the groundbreaking feature that enables the SMF version of Versatility2 the ability to run in stand-alone mode, or seemlessly integrate into Joomla with an SMF bridge."

Source

Are designed to work with the joomlahacks integration, and not with the bridge supported here.  Using those themes with this bridge will cause problems.

rotor

Orstio - what are the known problems with Versatility II and your bridge??

Do you suggest a bridge change if I want to use it??

rotor

Orstio

QuoteOrstio - what are the known problems with Versatility II and your bridge??

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=123773.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=122758.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=123838.0

QuoteDo you suggest a bridge change if I want to use it??

No, I suggest a theme change.

Advertisement: