News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Upgrade disaster

Started by mv_ajen, January 02, 2006, 11:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mv_ajen

I've done something terribly wrong. I think I have managed to completely trash my site. I somehow deleted the public_html folder so I recreated another and attempted to reinstall smf1.1 rc2 from scratch. It still isn't working. Is there a way I can get it back up and working without losing the backed up files and old posts? Plus I think some of the files that should have been uploaded to the forum folder ended up in the public_html folder instead. Is there a way to know which ones belong where before I make a bigger mess? My last upgrade went seamlessly.  :-[

Grudge

mv_ajen,

Luckily deleting the forum folder isn't the end of the world, as the important stuff is in the database. (With the exception of attachments).

Simply do this:
1) Upload all the files from a SMF RC2 UPGRADE package to your forum, and verify they are web accessible by going to your forum folder and showing that agreement.txt shows up:

i.e.:
www.yoursite.com/forum/agreement.txt

Then, from the downloads => tools page here, download repair_settings.php and upload this to your new directory, and run it from the web.

Fill in all the missing details, including your database username/password etc for your forum - this database should *still* exists. It's the same details you used previously.

This will now update Settings.php in the new files so you can do the upgrade. Run upgrade.php from your browser, and it should (hopefully) upgrade your database to RC2, and leave you with a working RC2 install - although without attachments unless you can find them!

If you need further help, PM me your ftp details, and a way to access PHPMyAdmin, and I'll try resolve it for you :)
I'm only a half geek really...

Advertisement: