News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Remove The Stars?

Started by jough, January 02, 2006, 01:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jough

Hi,

I'm a little annoyed that there are certain things you can't change in SMB without having to edit some PHP files in the Sources directory (like editing the footer) and I removed the stars from showing up in the member info panel of posts before, but now that I've upgraded I'm not wanting to have to go through the dozen or so files and make these changes again and again every time there's a new security or feature release.

Is there a way through the Admin control panel to turn off displaying stars for each user group?  I tried setting the star # to "0" but it wouldn't let me, and kept making it "1" instead.

Alternately, if there is no way to do this, then consider this a feature request.  Everything else there is configurable through the web interface - why do I have to edit the source code to remove the stars?

Grudge

Can't you just remove the path to the filename for the stars?
I'm only a half geek really...

1MileCrash

or a 1x1 pixel transparent image?  :P
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

jough

Removing the path to the stars (deleting the star.gif files) would be even worse - I'd rather have the stars than have 5 broken images.

A 1x1 transparent gif is an option, but again, I'd rather not have to re-upload it every time there's a minor update of SMB.  It should be an option, like displaying a title, personal message, avatar, etc. in that location is already an option.

beemer

Good idea!

Just looked in RC2 and if you set the number of stars to 0 it defaults to 1

Now I dont know if this is a bug in RC2 but it works?

Change the number of posts to -1
Click save

No more stars
http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC1
MKP 1.1 RC1
Helios Multi RC1
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.thefishsheadnhorsesarse.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC2
TinyPortal 0.8.6

Grudge

No, no, no!

Change the filename to be blank and the stars go away. Maybe this should be made more clear. It's not the number which is the problem, it's the filename.
I'm only a half geek really...

jough

Okay - and how do I do that for every membergroup at once?  If you have a lot of member groups or titles based on post count it gets pretty tedious to do these one at a time...

dtm.exe

Quote from: jough on January 04, 2006, 11:15:15 AM
Okay - and how do I do that for every membergroup at once?  If you have a lot of member groups or titles based on post count it gets pretty tedious to do these one at a time...

There is no fast method of doing this.  You'll have to do it all by hand, I'm afraid.

Thantos

Do you have access to phpmyadmin ( What is phpMyAdmin? )
If you do you can run this query to set ALL member groups to 1 star of blank.gif

UPDATE smf_membergroups SET stars='1#blank.gif'

Advertisement: