News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

logTime gone from smf_log_topics/boards

Started by Mike Bobbitt, January 02, 2006, 04:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Bobbitt

I just noticed that in RC2 logTime is gone from the smf_log_topics and smf_log_boards tables. I made fairly extensive use of that info to maintain usage logs, is there another way to get it in RC2? (I.E. is it stored somewhere else now, or gone for good?)

Thanks
Mike

Furvert

Please, would someone find an answer to this issue, his tracker code was extremely useful to check on potential problem users. Without the timestamp it makes the tracker code far less useful.

Mike Bobbitt

Thanks Furvert... I agree with no timestamps, the whole concept of tracking activity is a lot less useful. If there's any other way to collect the info I'd be happy to update the script.

Cheers
Mike

Cerberus

I suppose that it's possible to add a new bd key which stores timestamps, but I think it may affect performance ::)
Best Regards, Cerberus
YaBB Gold -> YaBB 1.1 -> YaBB SE (YaPP -> PfaBB) -> SMF
Pocket PC Russia

Trekkie101

smf_log_floodcontrol for user and IP
but smf_log_actions might give you what you want

:)

Mike Bobbitt

smf_log_floodcontrol only keeps entries for a short period of time, so it doesn't have much for historical reporting. But smf_log_actions definitely bears some investigation...

Thanks!

Mike Bobbitt

I think log_actions is just a log of administrator/moderator actions...

Furvert

I am curious, timestamp used to exist but was taken out.
Activity is still logged just without that timestamp so it still writes to database.
Thus I would not think the Overhead would be so different with and without timestamps?
Are time functions that slow to use?
Or is time a large datatype that is slow to write?

I can understand the desire to reduce Overhead, large forums could get hit hard if some functions are slow.

Cerberus

QuoteActivity is still logged just without that timestamp so it still writes to database.
there's no sense in this IMHO :(

Why they removed timestamps and left the logging on? I don't understand..
Best Regards, Cerberus
YaBB Gold -> YaBB 1.1 -> YaBB SE (YaPP -> PfaBB) -> SMF
Pocket PC Russia

nwsw

The basic SMF function for these two tables does not require a timestamp. They exist to track what has been last seen/read by the user. The ID_MSG field accomplishes this task.

However, MySQL does support a TIMESTAMP field, which in most cases automatically updates itself whenever its containing row changes (no PHP changes would be required). You could mod these two tables to include a TIMESTAMP field, and then you would know when they were added or changed.

See also:

Advertisement: