is this a reasonable and workable upgrade test method?

Started by yardbird, January 04, 2006, 09:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yardbird

Is it reasonable and workable to install the new SMF RC2 into ... say... an SMF2 directory, and simply point the installer at the current database? My current SMF 1.0.5 install is in /smf .

I'm thinking I could install and test the new release in /smf2 using the current database and then when I go live I could rename /smf to /smf-bak and rename /smf2 to /smf.

OR... should I install the new release to its own database and do an export/import of the current database's data?

I like new things, but just don't want to screw something up unrecoverably. :)

kegobeer

There will be changes made to the database during the upgrade process.  If you want to upgrade, back up your files and your database, then upload the upgrade version and perform the upgrade process.  Unless you have a lot of custom mods and hacks, you should be fine.

Make sure to thoroughly review the upgrade instructions before proceeding.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

yardbird

I was thinking more along the lines of parallel installations. What I'm seeing in the installer is kinda telling me I shouldn't try an RC2 install into the same database as a 1.0.5 installation.

If I just create a whole new database and do a clean, new install of RC2, will I be able to export my current posts, users, etc, from 1.0.5 to the RC2 installation or will I have to upgrade the current 1.0.5 to RC2?

If that's the case, I may just hold off until it's final.

kegobeer

You can put as many SMF installs as you want into the same database.  The table prefix must be different (ie: smf_ and smf11_).  I believe you'll run into problems trying to import 1.0.5 data into the 1.1 table structure, as there may be columns that are not the same or not there at all.

If you feel uncomfortable, I would hold off until SMF goes gold.  It is very easy to do a site backup and database backup, so if anything goes horribly wrong it's just a matter of restoring the backup.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

Advertisement: