News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Build a new forum and transfer the members and messages?

Started by Faustus, January 05, 2006, 09:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faustus

Is it possible to build an entire new forum, then transfer all the members and messages only to it?

Dannii

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Faustus

What would I have to do different in my situation? I want to build a NEW forum, then transfer just the content.

1MileCrash

you could just make a backup of your current one, then upload the backup to the new one
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

Dannii

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Faustus

Quote from: Tippmaster on January 05, 2006, 09:57:22 PM
you could just make a backup of your current one, then upload the backup to the new one

I don't want to transfer all the forum files. I want to build and prepare a NEW forum. Apply different mods, do some custom hacks, then just transfer the users and the post over.

Kirby

Then just upload a new set of files and copy over the old attachments. Let it use the same database.
Run a repair and do what is necessary.

Clean out any old mod installations from the _database_.

IngeJones

Quote from: Tippmaster on January 05, 2006, 09:57:22 PM

Doesn't the backup include things like the database name and path?   When I tried to do this some time ago with a PHPBB board, the backup files all needed editing to point to the new database, and I never did manage it sucessfully - in the end I just had to start from scratch and make everyone reregister.

Anyway, the reason I am posting in this thread is I am using 1.1 Beta 3 for an ongoing board and I'd like to install the release candidate now, and take some time get it working as I want (I have made mods, a custom theme and custom icons) and then either apply it over my live installation, or migrate the data across.   Obviously it would be more handy to my users if the bookmark they are currently using continued to work after the change.   Any tips on the best order in which to proceed?

Advertisement: