News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

phpbb to smf?

Started by SteveEU, January 14, 2006, 09:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveEU

Hi...This may have been asked before...a million times? But we were running phpbb before our host said they had to disable it because of it crashing thier server?
We could have maybe looked into sorting phpbb but we thought we would change to smf as it was recomended by our hosts.
Our forum is really important to us...we run a band website.
So the question is...Can we keep any of the old info, members, posts etc and move them over to smf, or do we have to start over afresh?
Muchos appreciated for any feedback on this dilema.

Elmacik

There are some converters from phpBB to SMF.
If you are willing to use SMF 1.0.5, go here : http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php?converters
If you are willing to use SMF 1.1 RC2, go to 1.1 Converters
Home of Elmacik

Nordoelum

It is fully possible to merge from an phpBB to SMF. To do this use the converters listed here. (Only for SMF 1.1) And read this.

Good luck with your chaninging of forum...

SteveEU

Thanx for that...Only now i see hundreds of converters...DOH!
Next problem is that i get an error message....

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of phpBB2. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

Could this be because the host has disabled access to the old forum?...The phpbb database exists on mysql and permissions are granted....the only thing i noticed while uploading the smf folders was that our file manager showed (old)'forum' as 'forum infected'. That folder is now gone? So i uploaded phpbb again to the site to see if that would work....no change....and phpbb wont let me install in phpbb1 becuase it allready exists.....help!

Nordoelum

The SMF DB User need to have access to the phpBB DB.

Oldiesmann

The easiest way to get around that problem is to just install SMF on the same database as phpBB and modify SMF's Settings.php to use the same MySQL username and password as phpBB.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

daniel1988

Quote from: SteveEU on January 14, 2006, 12:16:39 PM
Thanx for that...Only now i see hundreds of converters...DOH!
Next problem is that i get an error message....

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of phpBB2. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

Could this be because the host has disabled access to the old forum?...The phpbb database exists on mysql and permissions are granted....the only thing i noticed while uploading the smf folders was that our file manager showed (old)'forum' as 'forum infected'. That folder is now gone? So i uploaded phpbb again to the site to see if that would work....no change....and phpbb wont let me install in phpbb1 becuase it allready exists.....help!

I had the same prob, what you have to do is go into your cpanel for your site and open up the mysql databases section, find the user for your smf database and grant it access rights to your phpbb database
I have nothing interesting to put here

Advertisement: