News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

# CAPTCHA integration partner needed

Started by Harzem, January 17, 2006, 07:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harzem

Hi modders,

I need a partner to develop a mod. I've never written a mod, or integrated with SMF. So I just need an experienced mod writer.

I have the difficult-to-code part already coded :) But I need someone to integrate it with SMF and make it a mod.

The candidate should have a knowledge of PHP and MySQL. This is not only a theme modification.

What I have is this: www.harzem.com/captcha.php

This image is used to prevent mass registrations. SMF doesn't have it in default, and probably will never have. Anyway, there are many users that want this verification thing.

My captcha image has a very very big advantage. It never requires and graphics library. Only a clean install of PHP would be enough to generate the image.

HOWEVER, I can't integrate it into SMF. I have some ideas on how to do this, but I may mess it up also, if I try myself. Now I need someone to help me to integrate this into SMF and make a great mod.

You can use PM or MSN to contact me.

Regards,
harzem

Harzem

I am still waiting for someone. The captcha code is ready. I just need someone to integrate it to SMF register component.

H

Looks interesting.

Your image appears to load very slow. It may however be the server you are on.

As the SMF requires GD anyway, why not use it?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Harzem

It loads slow. Not because of the server, but because of the system of my captcha. It is not an image. You cannot right click it and save the image. If you look at the source code, it is not even an image!!

It is html table. It is around 60 kb. A few miliseconds are needed to produce it. Thus, it is slow. But it never needs GD.

Anyvay, SMF requires GD  :o :o ???

Yes the link says that. I thought it doesn't need. I have read that: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=8249.msg78487#msg78487

[unknown] seemed so confident to say SMF may not have GD.

Anyway, it is recommended I think, but it may not be there. If it is not there, my image keeps being shown.
It is naturally slow. It is a big file for an image, 60 kb, and needs maybe half seconds to be produced in my technique.
But a user can only see this image on registration. Then he/she will never see it again on that forum. So I think a few more seconds on registration is not so bad.

Cerberus

QuoteIt is naturally slow. It is a big file for an image, 60 kb, and needs maybe half seconds to be produced in my technique.
Imagine a forum with 2000 new users/day ::)...
Best Regards, Cerberus
YaBB Gold -> YaBB 1.1 -> YaBB SE (YaPP -> PfaBB) -> SMF
Pocket PC Russia

Harzem

Your pocket PC russia forum has a registration page of 57 kb. 60 kb image is not so big number. It is like just a refresh, for example.
A forum with 2000 users/day should have much larger problems in other areas, 60 kb more registration page should not be so difficult to supply.

Harzem

motumbo

Quote from: Cerberus on January 18, 2006, 12:10:30 PM
QuoteIt is naturally slow. It is a big file for an image, 60 kb, and needs maybe half seconds to be produced in my technique.
Imagine a forum with 2000 new users/day ::)...

If anyone has a forum with 2000 new users a day they should get some advertising on there because they'll make a fortune.

Advertisement: