phpbb > SMF, with a twist - phpBB is integrated in mambo/joomla

Started by vavroom, January 20, 2006, 05:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vavroom

Hello all,

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.  I've searched, but none of the search I tried returned anything (keeps telling me my search queries aren't specific enough!).  I've gone through a couple dozen of the phpBB to SMF posts, but none appear to answer my question.

I'm converting a phpBB install to SMF.  That isn't an issue in and of itself.  Except that the phpBB install is not actually a straight install of the forum.  It is a conversion that was made so it could be integrated into a Mambo/Joomla site.  So, it's the phpBB component for Mambo/Joomla.  All the tables are the same, and prefixed with phpBB, so I don't believe that the converter itself would mind the difference.

Except that the converter is asking for the path of install, and that appears to be a little trickier. 

I tried just using the path /home/username/public_html with is the path of the joomla install, but got an error message:
QuoteUnable to find the settings for phpBB2. Please double check the path and try again.

So, I hunted for the path to the phpbb config and ended up with /home/username/public_html/component/com_forum/ which gave me the following error:
QuoteSorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of phpBB2. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error MySQL gave was: Table 'tablename.phpbb_users' doesn't exist

So, next step was to look at phpmyadmin, and sure enough, the phpbb user table isn't there.  It appears that the component has been removed and uses the mambo usertable instead.

This leaves me in a pickle!  I think I'll probably need to
1- recreate the phpbb user table
2- import the mambo users in the phpbb user table
3- run the conversion
4- install the bridge (which then overwrites the mambo user info!)

//Edit: To further complicate matters, a closer look at the mambo user table shows that it's looking like a hybrid of the phpbb usertable (I assume, haven't seen the phpbb original user table) and the mambo user table.

This doesn't sound like the best approach.  I'm concerned about mesing up usergroups as well.

*Any* information on this would be highly appreciated.  I've looked at the sql file for the conversion and I'm afraid it's beyond my ability to modify myself.

Thanks in advance.
Nic
The longer you stare at the screen, the blanker it gets...

vavroom

<sigh>  I guess no one can help on this one :(  Oh well, not sure what's gonna happen.  Time will tell, eh?
Nic
The longer you stare at the screen, the blanker it gets...

Advertisement: