News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Ad Management mod

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 30, 2006, 08:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

420Connect.co.uk

Hi,

I've been using this Ad mod for a while now and haven't run into (m)any problems with it before now..

I've just emulated to be able to install this - My problem began after installing it, so I began asking in the mods support thread but I'm not sure whether it's something the Ad mod is doing or where code has been added from the other mod..

My issue is that although I don't have the boxes ticked to display ads in certain places, they are still being shown there..

~ Happy to attach any relevant files and thank you in advance for any help ~
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

vbgamer45

Just attach the files of where it shouldn't appear such as display.template.php if it is a topic.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

420Connect.co.uk

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 12, 2015, 11:42:52 AM
Just attach the files of where it shouldn't appear such as display.template.php if it is a topic.

I very much appreciate your help, vbgamer45 (thank you!)
The only place I noticed they began randomly displaying were my main page..

BoardIndex attached
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Hi @VBgamer ...

Just wanted you to be aware that I'm testing 2.1 on my live site and currently have the ad mod working very well, but when the time comes you will have some performance issues to consider heavily as in my case it functions MUCH better with an ad placed in the welcome area... i also have them in posts with very little drag on resources, but if under menu there's a noticeable hit on performance...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

vbgamer45

I am doing anything for 2.1 for while with this mod since it makes some theme edits... and 2.1 isn't finalized yet.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 06, 2015, 11:58:17 PM
I am doing anything for 2.1 for while with this mod since it makes some theme edits... and 2.1 isn't finalized yet.

Yep, just letting you know, something get the creative juices movin... excellent mod, thinking very seriously about getting pro version or whatever its named...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

420Connect.co.uk

Quote from: 420connect.info on January 12, 2015, 12:15:18 PM
Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 12, 2015, 11:42:52 AM

I very much appreciate your help, vbgamer45 (thank you!)
The only place I noticed they began randomly displaying were my main page..

BoardIndex attached

Just refound this ;)

*friendly reminder for when you've got a minute!*

Thank you in advance

vbgamer45

Looked at that file. Looks ok.
That file has two edits. One for ads top of the board index.
The other in between categories.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

420Connect.co.uk

I could test removing the code for in between categories as I don't use that at all..

surely that would be a temporary fix?

edit: tried this and it has worked.

incase I need to replace that code at some point

just a little note to myself:

//Display ads Between cats
if (function_exists("show_category"))
{
$ads = show_category($category['id']);
if(!empty($ads))
if($ads['type']==0)
echo $ads['content'];
else
eval($ads['content']);
unset($ads);
}

Nokin

The Mod in the subject line of this post is one that I installed but did not activate as I was using the theme: hxxp:brfinale.zip [nonactive] before I installed this Mod. I love the theme but I got a lot of failure notices when I installed the Mod. I haven't installed a Mod before so I stopped before the activating to see if the new theme was not compatible with the Mod or if "some" failure notices were common. I am running 2.0.9 latest. I did not try the install the Mod on the default theme. Thanks. Just trying to really get this show on the road and am being very careful. I did not write down the nature of the failure notices as there were 5 or 6 of them. I do not recall any of them failing for the default curve theme core. Is this normal or did I do the right thing and come here first?

vbgamer45

Yes that is normal to fail on a custom theme you can upload the mod to http://www.smfhacks.com/smf-package-parser.html to get the edits for a theme.
Then find similiar edits in your custom theme and make the changes were needed.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Nokin

I'll give that a go. Not sure how to go about editing the theme so I will probably be back. Thanks for taking the time to answer a newbie.

Nodaz

odd bug , trying to determine where the issue is:( posted to the adsense help forum as well)
SMF 2.0.9

Recently approved and implemented ads on an SMF forum that i run.  Everything has worked well for just under 8 weeks.  Yesterday i noticed that the ads were not appearing on the forum( though the space where the ad should be is there...) in Firefox 35.0.1 ( normally i have them turned off for forum admins through the forum software but turn them on to analyze placement and position).  There is nothing set to block them ( i have ad blocker plus as well but it is turned off for that page.)
Everything was fine one day, nothing changed and the next day they were not showing.

I checked and they appear correctly in IE and Chrome.
Is this a Firefox issue or a forum software issue?

vbgamer45

Some ads like google adsense might not appear if they don't like the content on the page.
Check the page source to see if the ad code is there.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Nodaz

Code is present.
What is odd is that the ads appear when i look at the same page in either IE or Chrome, just not in Firefox.

vbgamer45

You might have adblock or something similiar?

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Nodaz

adblock is disabled, first thing i tried...

vbgamer45

Hmm seems something computer related or browser related and not with the ad mod. As long as the code is shown on the page.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Cyber-Box

I have an ad I want to have appear on all pages so I checked "Display ads on every page as a tower on the left side".  Good.

I want another ad to appear on a certain board (for example board 5) so I put 5 in the "Which boards should this ad display in" textbox.  I go to board 5, but nothing shows up.  I think maybe it's because it needs to go hand in hand with one of the checkbox options so I checked "Display ads on board index" but still nothing. 
I changed it to "Display ads on message index" with same result.  BUT, if I change it to "Display ads on the post page" it shows up in the posts of that board.  If I take out the 5 and leave "Display ads on board index", then it shows up on the main board and if I leave "Display ads on message index" without the 5 it shows up on the message index of every board.

-Is there a way to set it up so it appears on the message index of a certain board only?

-Also, if two ads have the same position, is there a way to show them both up or will one override the other?

What I wanted was to show one Ad A on the left across all pages and Ad B under Ad A in message index and posts of board 5 but Ad C under Ad A in message index and posts of board 10.  (I'm reeeeeally trying to explain this as clearly as possible and have no idea if I'm accomplishing that :-\ LOL)
  (see Edit*)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm using a theme so I visited that link (given in a previous post) where you check the file changes so you can manually edit.  I was able to fix the ones that didn't have the changes.  The only one I didn't was the one that mentioned the welcome user area.  I didn't change it because I couldn't find the code in the theme file nor in the original install file.  I think it's the one that had to do with welcome area and because I'm not interested in using ads there, I don't think I have to change it.

P.P.S. I'm running SMF 2.0.9 and it was a clean install (not an update)

*EDIT:  Know what?  I can work around the issue with Ad A on all the pages and then Ads B and C showing up in their own sections. 

vbgamer45

-Is there a way to set it up so it appears on the message index of a certain board only?
No
-Also, if two ads have the same position, is there a way to show them both up or will one override the other?
I think they override/rotate

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: