News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Ad Management mod

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 30, 2006, 08:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philchen

Hi Kindred,

I tried to install the "large upgrade" package, but my package manager is saying that it is not installable.  Is this because I have SMF 1.1.12 already installed?

Illori

you dont install it with the package manager, upload the files to your server and replace what is there.

philchen

Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2010, 06:54:38 PM
you dont install it with the package manager, upload the files to your server and replace what is there.

Got it.  Thanks a lot for the quick responses.  I will try that first thing in the morning.

You guys are great.

Phil

philchen

Quote from: Illori on December 08, 2010, 06:54:38 PM

Good Morning,

I just ran this procedure, i.e., used Filezilla to upload all the SMF large package upgrade files on to my server.  Re-Applied the Ad Management packaged and I get the double ads back.  What should I do next?

I appreciate the help.  It is very logical, but I still have the problem.

Phil

Illori

can we have a link to your forum where you have double ads? have you tried to configure where the ads show up in the admin panel?

philchen

Quote from: Illori on December 09, 2010, 05:48:20 AM
can we have a link to your forum where you have double ads? have you tried to configure where the ads show up in the admin panel?

Hi,

Yes, I do configure the ads in the admin panel.  the site is http://spssmessageboard.com [nofollow]

Thank you for your help.

Phil

Illori

did you put your code in more then one time in the space provided for the ad code?

philchen

Quote from: Illori on December 09, 2010, 09:10:58 AM
did you put your code in more then one time in the space provided for the ad code?

No, just once.  If I add another file, it will post two ads for it as well.

philchen

Double Posting of Ads:

I may have fixed it by going back and reactivating the old .php (the ones with the "~" and renaming current .php's as old.  I didn't get all of them, but enough to get rid of the double posts in most areas.

Thanks for the help and patience.

This is what I did:

This may not help everyone, but I did the following and it seemed to work.  On the presumption that loading the Ad Management program twice would have changed certain files, I carefully examined my file directories, one at a time.

I found that certain ".php" files were duplicated.  In other words "XXX.php" was immediately followed by a file labeled "XXX.php~".

I assumed that the "XXX.php~" was an earlier file that did not contain the code that caused the ads to post twice.  So I did the following:

1. Changed the current file "XXX.php" to "XXX-old.php"  which makes it a non-recognizable file, and
2. Changed the earlier file "XXX.php~" to "XXX.php" by removing the "~".

By doing this for every file in all the directories, I restored the functionality of Ad Management so that it only posts one ad per ad inputted.

CAVEAT: I am not a php guru or, for that matter, that good at any of this stuff. I learned to compute on a Burroughs 5500 in 1965 and did most of my work on a Log-Log DeciTrig Slide Rule.  So this may be dumb luck that it worked and may not work for everyone.  On the other hand if you see the same combination of ".php" files in your file directory, you might want to give it a try.  Do not erase the files you mark with "-old" as you may need them in the future or to restore functionality if my fix doesn't work.

I appreciate the help that you have given me.

Phil

radioz

Hi!

I installed this add on (the V2 RC-4 version) to Transistorized (dot) com where I have a very new RC-4 installation that seems to work fine.  I was confused the first time to see many errors (Reply #5807 on: November 28, 2010, 01:00:26 PM) so I did deleted the program download (under Browse Packages > Modification Packages) and downloaded it a second time.  That didn't change anything so I installed it.  I don't THINK that there was but one installation (99.9%).

From a user standpoint, everything looks fine.  I can use all of the panels to load ads and the reports look fine.  I am using AdSense code that I use on my primary site which works fine there.  The ads are supposed to be 468x60 and are suppose to appear under the menu and at the bottom of each page.  Alas, my problem is that no ads or anything else appears.  It isn't causing any problems.  It is just as if there was no code ad on at all.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon Hall

philchen

Quote from: radioz on December 10, 2010, 03:25:20 AM
Hi!

I installed this add on (the V2 RC-4 version) to Transistorized (dot) com where I have a very new RC-4 installation that seems to work fine.  I was confused the first time to see many errors (Reply #5807 on: November 28, 2010, 01:00:26 PM) so I did deleted the program download (under Browse Packages > Modification Packages) and downloaded it a second time.  That didn't change anything so I installed it.  I don't THINK that there was but one installation (99.9%).

From a user standpoint, everything looks fine.  I can use all of the panels to load ads and the reports look fine.  I am using AdSense code that I use on my primary site which works fine there.  The ads are supposed to be 468x60 and are suppose to appear under the menu and at the bottom of each page.  Alas, my problem is that no ads or anything else appears.  It isn't causing any problems.  It is just as if there was no code ad on at all.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon Hall

Jon,

I know this is a stupid question, but did you give each ad a name?  Have you checked that the ad was correctly added to the list?

Phil

maihannijat

Almost done installing this in custom Theme.

But only one code is left to insert it in index.template.php, I have tried but don't know where this code falls.

Here is the code:
';
//Welcome Ads
if (function_exists("show_welcomeAds"))
{
$ads = show_welcomeAds();
if(!empty($ads))
{
echo '<td class="windowbg2">';
if($ads['type']==0)
echo $ads['content'];
else
eval($ads['content']);
echo '</td>';
}
unset($ads);
}
echo '

And attached is my index.template.php

Thanks in Advance.

candyspan6

I'm trying to add my first add by using the advertisemers code, and placing it in the "content" box, but nothing is happening. Can anyone please help me out with this, it's my last and final hurdle before building the community. Also, I use the "plusGray" theme - this same code works perfectly on my other sites, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

radioz

QuoteJon,

I know this is a stupid question, but did you give each ad a name?  Have you checked that the ad was correctly added to the list?

Phil

Thanks for the reply Phil!

I now know what my problem is.  The Ad Management program is only installed on the default, Curve template.  I am using a simple copy of that theme with the only mods being an externally  linked, graphical logo image.  The ads do come up in the curve theme but not with my copy of it.

Is it necessary to manually install ads ons to ANY template other template or is there a way around that potentially disastrous (for me anyway) method?   I tried making a second base template from the current Curve (with the Ad Management add on) but only the base theme copied.  I've temporarily moved my (as of now) limited mods to the Curve theme but that could eventually be a bad idea, I think.  At the moment, just a tiny bit of code is different and it is easy to move but that may change with time.

I had a question about formatting but found that all that I had to do was to enter thesvript code wrapped in an HTML table to make it work fine!

This is a very cool program, to be sure!

Thanks!

Jon

Illori

in smf 2.0 it will attempt to apply changes to themes to the custom themes, but only if you check the correct box, otherwise you have to manually apply those changes to the theme files.

radioz

Where is the box?  Installing this program manually seems miserable though.  I've almost mucked the whole thing just working with the header!  I am now doing the potentially unwise thing of using the default as the template.  It might be asking too much (really!) but a pop-up or some other warning device might be a good idea.

I plan to quickly set up one related forum and would like to do it right and then may come back to this one.  I could probably just copy over the code from the forum to be as this add on is the only complex thing that I have added. 

This is very nice software and this add on is a very nice addition!

Thanks!

Jon Hall
http://www.transistorized.com

Kindred

why is it unwise to use the default theme?

what do you think should have a pop-up warning?

your post is very confusing, since you don't actually give any information...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

candyspan6

Hello Kindred, could you or one of the wise, all knowing helpers help me out installing this mod. Nothing seems to be working, I've tried installing it in both the default theme and my customized theme to no avail. Add before, add after, what does it all mean? I'm pretty computer savvy, although it's not my full time gig. So a bit more computer knowledge is probably needed for a potential work-around, or something... I'm using 1.11 and I downloaded the correct ad management mod version.

Are there things I need to look out for, or common mistakes people seem to make when installing this modification? It seems like there are people having a lot of issues with it, but there must be some common mistake we're all making.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kindred

add before, add after are indicators that explain just what to do...   add this code before the other code or after the other code (or replace the other code)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

PLAYBOY

I wish there was an option to put the ads on places in galleries too.

Advertisement: