News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Multiple members, one e-mail

Started by snib, February 02, 2006, 04:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snib

Hello SMF community,

I have been using multiple copies of your software (currently 1.1RC2) for about a year for various things including rpg boards where a single person may wish to register more than one account. The #1 complaint I get from my users is that you can't register one e-mail to multiple accounts.

I have searched for this issue here on the boards and elsewhere on the internet but I couldn't find a solution except to tell my members to get Yahoo accounts, which was not appreciated.

So after being bugged for a few days by this I dove into the SMF source code and found this in Sources/Subs-Members.php:

$request = db_query("
SELECT ID_MEMBER
FROM {$db_prefix}members
WHERE emailAddress = '$regOptions[email]'
OR emailAddress = '$regOptions[username]'
LIMIT 1", __FILE__, __LINE__);
// !!! Separate the sprintf?
if (mysql_num_rows($request) != 0)
fatal_error(sprintf($txt[730], htmlspecialchars($regOptions['email'])), false);
mysql_free_result($request);

Because the comment read "Check if the e-mail is in use" and the function is called "registerMember()" I commented this code out. Now everything seems to be fine, I can register with the same e-mail...

But is my website completely secure now? Is there some hidden reason I should not do this? Knowing PHP, I don't think anything else would be changed by getting rid of these lines but I would like to be sure if I can do this to all my rpg sites safely.

Thanks for any input concerning this.
Snib

Dem0n

Howmany accounts does one person really need? I think two is perfectly fine. Just have them make a seperate email account, and they are good to go. Most people have more than one email account anyways.

snib

As I said, I've tried telling my users to get free e-mail accounts but it's really inconvenient to check 2-3+ inboxes to see if they have a new PM or something. They want it more than one account on a single e-mail. And I have done it, but was wondering if there was a drawback to the way I have changed the Source.

The only problem I see is that when I send an e-mail to all my members, some inboxes will get several copies.. Perhaps I can change the e-mail function to fix this as well.

Thanks Dem0n for your input.
Snib

fireman

Edward A Freeman

if they have more then one account, they could always have the free accounts redirect the emails to their primary. I know this can be done in yahoo and MSN, not sure about Gmail tho.

Rudolf

@snib

I explored pretty much the SMF code and I don't see any security issue with having multiple accounts for one e-mail. It is just a feature.
But you should wait for an "official" answer to this.

Rudolf
I will update all my mods in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience.

SVG-Collapse (you need an SVG compliant browser)

tomis

Quote from: Efwis on May 15, 2006, 03:58:13 PM
if they have more then one account, they could always have the free accounts redirect the emails to their primary. I know this can be done in yahoo and MSN, not sure about Gmail tho.
:)  I think you've got it backwards.  It cannot be done in Yahoo & Hotmail, unless you pay, but you can forward for free with Gmail (and use POP3 access)
~

Dannii

emails in SMF are almost more unique than usernames. Did you know you can login by your email address? Having multiple members with the same email won't work.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Harzem

Also, I think if someone forgets his password, he cannot use "forgot my password" link. Because, it asks for the e-mail address and you cannot specify the username that has forgotten the password.

Edward A Freeman

Quote from: tomis on May 16, 2006, 05:49:52 AM
Quote from: Efwis on May 15, 2006, 03:58:13 PM
:)  I think you've got it backwards.  It cannot be done in Yahoo & Hotmail, unless you pay, but you can forward for free with Gmail (and use POP3 access)
hotmail you are correct, my mistake, but I do have my Yahoo account forwarded.

Advertisement: