News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

1-1-RC 2 Auto Login

Started by Jabberwocky, February 14, 2006, 11:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabberwocky

1-1-RC 2 Auto Login.

Hi People,

I've looked everywhere for a fix for this... Can't find any answers.  :'(

Auto-Login is not remembering the password. It posts the the error message "Wrong Password" and it has to be entered manually each time.  :(

I've cleaned cookies, web-forms, publishers files, saved passwords etc, and the cache.. still the same problem, and it's happening here too each time I log in.

Browser: Maxthon. (Uses IE engine).

Password length: 7, Alpha-Numerical.

Patience: Wearing thin.  :D

Anyone got any answers for this ??  ;)

Edit:

Happens with Mozilla - Firefox too.........  :(

Jabberwocky

Bump!

I know there are not a myriad of people who can answer this question... But it is important to me to resolve the problem.

Dannii

Please don't bumb a topic after only 6 hours.

I've never had any problems with a browser remembering an incorrect password. I would guess it is some problem with your browser.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Jabberwocky

Quote from: eldacar on February 14, 2006, 05:47:53 PM
Please don't bump a topic after only 6 hours.

I've never had any problems with a browser remembering an incorrect password. I would guess it is some problem with your browser.

Ok, Sorry for the bump...  ;)

I've tried IE, Maxthon, firefox and opera. ?? That's the frustrating part about it.

Same problem.

But now that you mention it, maybe that's why I can't find any information on it. It's only happening with me.

Me... I thought it was a bug, and only needed some to say what you've just said. Now I'll go somewhere else and look for what may be causing it.

Dannii

Does it happen with other forums? Non-SMF ones too?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Jabberwocky

Quote from: eldacar on February 14, 2006, 06:11:22 PM
Does it happen with other forums? Non-SMF ones too?

No, I have no problems with any other Auto-Login anywhere else only SMF ?? Both on the new install I did, and also here.

Leave it with me for a while, as I'm into creating my own theme at the moment. I will check out what restrictions are in place, firewall etc... There may be something I've done to prevent it parsing into the window.  :(

Will work on it later... and report back whatever I find.

PS: I've had a lot of experience with forum software, so hopefully it won't be too hard to find.  ;)

Jabberwocky

I've tried everything, checked everything and even changed the cookie name...  ::)

Tested it with Linux - PcLos / Konqueror and the results are always the same:

"Incorrect Password"

? ? ? ?   :'(

Edit:

I've even tried changing the password... Next test will have to be from a different PC.. ;)

Jabberwocky

Tested on a different Computer and the results are exactly the same... ?

Will have to find out what my IP has in the way of filters, and also what my IP-Server has in place.. But My server should have no bearing on why I can't use auto-login here..

After that, I have no ideas.  :(

Life's little mysteries......... Lol!

Jabberwocky

This is still a problem and not only for me, but my other users as well.  :(

All I can track it down to.. is this error message:

Guest   Today at 11:43:47 AM 
203.173.30.25     ff5e8e1ae233fc5a49356c7cbbb55d2d 
http://jabberwockies.com/forum/index.php?action=login2 
Password incorrect - Jabberwocky

It appears to be using Guest permission / password hash when trying to set the password ??  :'(

The only other error message I get is this, and it's fairly regular ?? :

Jabberwocky   Today at 06:10:54 AM 
XXX.XX.XX.XX   f2cf44c7962fde6fc1bf38d8e6ec962d 
http://jabberwockies.com/forum/index.php?action=post;board=15.0 
8: Undefined index: code
File: /home/dave60fx/public_html/forum/Themes/default/languages/Post.english.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 874

??  :(

I will try a clean / test install to see what happens. ;)

Jabberwocky

Last Post on this, as it appears to be a BUG...

Installed v1.0.6 as a test, works Ok!

Installed a brand new download / upload of v1.1 RC2 as a test and the problem remains the same... ??

Stupid me for coming to SMF and picking on a beta version as my introduction to SMF..  :'(

Let's hope someone fixes it soon and provides the patching details. Because it's a pain! ;D

Furvert

This BUG has been existant since 1.1b3p and has not been fixed to my knowledge.
From what I can see it is cookie and/or stored password related.
In Firefox it actually saved the password as ****** which is of course wrong.
Yet it had worked before for a long time then started to occur.
It is my number one error in logs.

Only solution for me has been to not logoff
I have tried deleting cookies and stored passwords but the issue reoccurs quickly

I am currently using 1.1rc2

P.S. I have not logged out here and have no problems.

Jabberwocky

I'm more inclined to think it's this line or the javascript that it's calling is at fault ?

Index.template.php

Quote<form action="', $scripturl, '?action=login2" method="post" class="middletext" style="margin: 3px 1ex 1px 0;"', empty($context['disable_login_hashing']) ? ' onsubmit="hashLoginPassword(this, \'' . $context['session_id'] . '\');"' : '', '>

It appears to go straight to action=login2 (No Password) without checking the window ??

Don't know enough about php or SMF Variables to sort it out.... And I'm really too old to care about learning it. So will leave that for the "Programmers"...  ;)

H

I once had this issue on my development server.

I think if was a problem with the way the server was configured ::)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Compuart

I'm unable to reproduce this problem on your forum. Can you give the exact steps (including registration) for reproducing the problem?
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

Jabberwocky

Sure I can,

Later today I will do a fresh test install and note everything I do during install and registration.  ;)

Compuart

As long as it can be reproduced on your current install that would help too.
Hendrik Jan Visser
Personal Signature:

Jabberwocky

Here's a fresh install, following the instructions to-the-rule.

And I still have the same problem... I also have the same problem here, and at my main forums ??

Somewhere.... something is stopping this feature from working. And it's only happening with SMF ?

And also by staying "Logged In", creates other problems with the index url's.. But that is for another thread.

http://www.jabberwockies.com/test

Let me know how you go...

Compuart

But what are the exact steps for the error to occur? I can't get the "Wrong Password" error, unless I login with the wrong password. But it remembers me perfectly, even after deleting the session cookie.
Hendrik Jan Visser
Personal Signature:

Jabberwocky

I clear all forms and remembered passwords from Internet Options..

Log out.. Come back, double click the fast-login... Name and password are transfered to the windows.. I click login...

Wrong Password ??

I've disabled all Browser protection and programmes, Spyware-Blaster etc, and the results are the same.

Got me beat ? :(

Compuart

Ah ok, so you're using the password manager from Firefox? In that case I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you. The reason why that won't work is that SMF 1.1 encrypts the password before sending it. As Firefox' password manager only remembers the encrypted form, you wouldn't be able to login with it the next time. So, unless you don't mind plain passwords to be sent over the net, I'm afraid there's no other solution (or you should convince Firefox to adjust their (imho) irrational behaviour).
Hendrik Jan Visser
Personal Signature:

Advertisement: