News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Integrate external ATOM feed into Forum News

Started by Nomina, February 22, 2006, 05:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomina

I've been going blind searching the boards for information on how to integrate an external ATOM feed (such as those produced by Blogger, et. at.) into the Forum News box.  I've seen multiple requests for a feature like this, but all of them seem to end without resolution or with someone linking them to the RSS Injector.

To be clear, I'm not looking for anything as sophisticated as the RSS Injector which, as I understand it, populates a forum with the headlines from a particular feed as individual topics for discussion.  This is far more than I'm asking (although I can certainly see its use for news-heavy forums.)  Rather, all I'm looking to do is keep forum users notified of updates to a couple of different pseudo-blogs via the Forum News box.

I'm sure it's possible, as I've seen other SMF sites that have full RSS feeds from sources like CNN integrated into individual forums, so the real question is simply, "How?"

Are programs like CaRP and Grouper (the paid version, as the free doesn't appear to support ATOM), or MagpieRSS, really necessary for this sort of feature, or can some of the code used to populate the Package Manager and the "Live from Simple Machines..." boxes be re-tasked appropriately?

[Mods: Please, relocate if this is was the wrong board on which to post.]

Nomina

I'll look into TP, as I've seen it mentioned before in similar situations, but I was really hoping to be able to avoid adding another 'layer' to the process. Is TP for RC2 ready for the public?

Anyone do this successfully without using a portal of some kind?

Answered my own questions and in the process of getting TP dialed-in.

Huge thanks to perplexed for his advice and to Bloc for the TP goodness.

Advertisement: