what can I do to pare down my board temporarily (CPU overload)

Started by rosey, March 01, 2006, 03:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosey

our forum is overloading our shared host (Lunarpages) server so we have been suspended.  I have to let them know what I have done to 'trim the fat' (I only have access to the files, not the actual board) before they will reinstate me.

are there things I could do to cut the usage even if it means sacrificing some function on the board for a bit (until we can find a new server)?  can I disable avatars, searches, etc?  will that help?  how do I do it without access to the admin panel?

I am just totally confused and exhausted.  I have read threads that say SMF shouldn't use this kind of resources, it must be my hosts problem.  but then when I shop for a new host they are all telling me with the stats of my forum we NEED a vps or dedicated host.  which one is true?  should SMF not run this high on CPU resources, or should it?  I can't find a definitive answer.  I have 1100 very irate members demanding action now now now!!!  but I need time to research this before I shell out $100/month for something that I am not even sure I really need.

help :(

Trekkie101

How many of them are usually active at once?

How many members, topics, messages?

rosey

Total Members:  1173
Total Posts:    553226
Total Topics:    43230

Average posts per day:  2355.2
Average online per day:  112.3

our peak time has 170+ members online

Trekkie101

Those are some big stats, a provider might find those a bit intensive.

Have you tried the ideas in the sticky at the top?

rosey

everything that I could do on a shared server, I tried.  it wasn't much though.  they don't support InnoDB on their shared servers, they don't have accelerators installed, there were errors all over the status.php (when I could still see it  >:() of the MySQL settings...

I have seen many people having this problem with them so I am sure that some, if not all, of the problem lies with them.  But I really want time to figure out a new solution - the last time I was pressured to pick a new host, I picked them.  They won't reinstate my site until I tell them what steps I have taken to correct the problem and they are completely ignoring my suggestions that there are things they could do :(

rosey

will disabling avatars help at all?  and where would I do that in the \sources\manageattachments.php file?

Ben_S

Do you have custom server stored avatars enabled? I.e. ones that go through index.php?....
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

rosey

Ben_S

Try disabling them for now, in all honesty though, do a search for lunarpages here and the feedback isn't too great.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

rosey

yeah I know, we're shopping new hosts right now but I'd just like to get back up so we aren't rushed into a decision.

Advertisement: