News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Mod development and multilanguage support

Started by bicunisa, March 07, 2006, 10:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bicunisa

Hello guys, this post is to make a suggestion to all mod or smf developers.

Right now, if you install a mod that doesn't support other language than english, it just WON'T display stuff related to it (like the new tab to configurate stuff for the mod you just installed). Is there any way to override this behavior and display the tab in a DEFAULT language? (english in this case).

I configured my SMF boards to use the spanish language pack, but if I install mods like Ultimate Shoutbox or  Googlebot & Spiders, the tabs to configure them won't appear, unless I change the language of the forum in my profile options back to English, just to configure those mods. I think the correct behavior should be "oh, there isn't a Spanish resource file, then I will default to English and display the tab even though I don't know the translation for the Spanish language".

Summarizing, let the mods and stuff default to English when they can't find a translation. Hope it can be done, or something... ;)

Best regards,
Adrián.

Elmacik

A nice implementation it would be, but not to mod packages; to package handler of SMF.
Home of Elmacik

Dannii

It is supposed to fall back to English, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. It may only work on a language-file at a time basis.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

bicunisa

Or what should be the workaround?
Because in some of the mods I can't find an english.php file so I can translate the stuff to spanish.

I think we should look further into this, so SMF gets pretty good multilanguage support ;)

Advertisement: