News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Connection Problems

Started by skizlin, March 07, 2006, 02:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skizlin

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC2
Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

This is message which start to anoying me, and users of forum. I converted from phpBB, have over 2000 members. In this moment ther is cca 100 members online but forum makes this message.
Where is the problem, and can I solve it?

I have also SMF 106 on other hosting, with only 30 members, and i got message from SMF forum on email more than 15 times in one month!

What's going on?

fwitt

I only get this message when my hosts MySQL goes down, so the first thing to check is that your host is fully functional when you are getting these messages.

lorrcarter

who is your host?

I currently have a hosting with godaddy for my smf forum and I get this alot when theres like 5 people online. I'm moving my forum to a new host and hope it corrects the problem.

DaveV

It seems to be a recurring pattern. I too have SMF on GoDaddy and I have the exact same problem. It all started just a few days ago.

redone

Check by uploading repair_settings. If the information is correct in your settings then yes your host is the problem.

DaveV

My host (GoDaddy) explained that *something I did* was eating up resources. ( I wish I could remember the exact words, but here goes...) He says my virtual dedicated account has unlimited TCP connections, but a finite number (100) of non-TCP connections. He said my non-TCP (UDP, etc.) connections were maxed out. Looking at the running processes he found a hundred Java calls that were "hanging" and weren't giving up their resources. He also thought it might be a MySQL problem not handling enough simultaneous connections and we were hitting it too hard and fast for it to process all the requests. This "unable to connect" error happens with only one or two members online!

What in SMF could be maxing out resources like this?

http://www.whithaydn.com/smf/status.php

lorrcarter

I just think godaddy is sucky with handing mysql databases....be warned

phatsew

I've also noticed this with godaddy, and I only have 14 users.

lorrcarter

so maybe I think godaddy should be blacklisted as a terrible host for smf.....and its terrible cause godaddy has the application ready to install by a click of a button lmao....

I've moved to nagol.org, which is a fairly new hosting company I think? but anyway....it runs alot better and I haven't had any problems at all yet.

Advertisement: