Viewing a Topic causes slow loading...

Started by MetalMusicMan, March 16, 2006, 04:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalMusicMan

Hi, I'm the site administrator of http://www.ruinguild.net

We use SMF for our forums, and for the most part, they work great.  Every now and then, however, viewing a topic just decides to take FOREVER to load.

The rest of the forum runs fine, viewing settings, clicking different boards and loading the topics within, etc.  But clicking on an actual topic to view can sometimes take between 45 seconds to almost 2 minutes.

I'm not sure what causes this or how to fix it.  Please help!

"How'd you get to be so smart?"
"Trial and error."

-- Duncan MacLeod, Highlander (S1E20)

Admin of MetalMusicMan.com

Ben_S

Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Prasad007

i browsed throughout the forums. Its all working fine for me. Maybe your internet connection is slow!

MetalMusicMan

I actually managed to fix it by removing my sig, replacing my sig, reuploading graphics to other locations, etc.

I cannot figure out WHY it was loading slow, but here is what I did figure out:

-Only the Threads that my account had posted in loaded slowly.
-The posts only loaded slowly when I had a Signature graphic set to display on my posts.
-The size of the graphic, type, etc. did not matter.  Infact, putting the same graphic in someone else's sig had no effect on the performance.  Only when there was a graphic in MY sig, did the forums load slowly.

It's fixed now, I don't know what I did, but it's fixed.  Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this?  I wouldn't usually bother asking except that this is the second time that it has happened.

Thanks

"How'd you get to be so smart?"
"Trial and error."

-- Duncan MacLeod, Highlander (S1E20)

Admin of MetalMusicMan.com

Ben_S

Disable any image size restrictions - it's covered in the sticky read me at the top.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Advertisement: