WYSIWYG? (tinymce, fck, etc)

Started by Tachu, March 20, 2006, 02:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tachu

Is there any way I can integrate a WYSIWYG editor, like tinymce, fckeditor, etc. to my simple machines forum?

Thanks

Harzem

There are some reasons why you shouldn't integrate a WYSIWYG editor.

First, it eats up your bandwidth. It is hard to load because of its huge size. Each message posting page will load in more than a few seconds, filling your bandwidth quota.

Second, much of the kiddies will see how they can write beautiful things.

H

Quote from: Tachu on March 20, 2006, 02:33:49 PM
Is there any way I can integrate a WYSIWYG editor, like tinymce, fckeditor, etc. to my simple machines forum?

Thanks

There is this: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=22468.0 however the default SMF editor doesn't take long to get used to ;)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

hovercrafter

Hey first post here. We just moved our forum over to SMF last night (from PHPBB). I been testing out RC2 for a few weeks now and felt we could safley make the move.

I am actually considering making a plugin for WYSIWYG. I have worked with both tinymce and fck in the past. Actually I use tinymce (advanced layout) on a wordpress installation. One work around I have figured for the bandwidth problem is using the gzip compression feature on it. I do that one my wordpress install and it loads rather quickly. FCK is generally a smaller package than tinymce (although I prefer tinymce over fck) so I might go with that. I know VBulletin has the feature in it and it isn't that bad on load times. I will let you know how I progress through this project.

geddeth

And? What did you end up with, hovercrafter?

H

You should probably send hovercrafter a PM as he may not have notification on for this topic. However as no WYSIWYG mod has been published here I guess the answer is probably no
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Advertisement: