News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Need help with alternate dns entries

Started by Coar, April 02, 2006, 08:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coar

I currently have 2 DNS entries registered (www.gotteverquest.net and www.rotteverquest.net, both point to the same server) and i was wondering if there was some way i could modify the forum code to accept *BOTH* as my site for cookies purposes, but still recognize the cookies separately

in other words, what i want is...
if someone goes to www.gotteverquest.net and logs into the forums, with the login option "forever", i want them to be able to log into the forums via a separate cookie at www.rotteverquest.net under a different login, and also be able to set the login option as "forever", and not have all my forum links direct to the www.gotteverquest.net version.

if that doesnt make sense, maybe i can answer a specific question better.

Anyone think they can help me out with this? I run two guilds for EverQuest, and they are hand-in-hand with eachother, separate, yet the same, and i want to be able to support the second as much as i support the first
"There are four boxes in the defense of liberty. Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Ammo. Use in that order."

H

The easiest way to do this would be to set two cookies under both domains, possibly by using an iframe.

Someone with more coding knowledge should be able to do this for you
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Coar

*has a confoozled look*

sorry, i used to be able to web program back when i thought HTML was the "end all, be all" of web coding, and i've very recently started working with PHP.... could you explain what you just said?

im only just starting to venture out of the "monkey see monkey do" attitude of coding, as i dont have the patience to learn at the beginning again with "Hello, World!"
"There are four boxes in the defense of liberty. Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Ammo. Use in that order."

H

I believe that a site can only set a cookie for itself.

e.g. site1.com can set a site1.com cookie but not a site2.com cookie.

Therefore someone who is good with php will probably need to make an iframe to the site which you arent on (e.g. site2.com) so that cookies can be set for both sites.

If cookies are set for both sites then you stay logged in etc on both domains.

Hopefully this is a bit clearer, I'm not too good at explaining complicated things
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Coar

i think i understand the gist of what you are saying, but what im wanting is for users to be able to access the same links and everything via "site2.com" as the core address.

lemme try to explain a bit better...

currently, the forum is at, as you put it, "site1.com", and all the forum addresses are based off the settings under forum admin as "site1.com/forum/". users can get to my "site2.com" pointer to the "site1.com" files (only difference is the address), but when they go to the forum, they are connected over to "site1.com/forum/" for all posting, messages, etc.

what i want is for them to be able to connect to "site2.com/forum/" and see the same exact data and have all the same access rights as if they had logged in on "site1.com/forum/", and make it so that they can use 2 separate accounts, depending on which site they went to

is this clearer?

oh, and part of my question from earlier was... whats an iframe?

Advertisement: