News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

PHP suEXEC

Started by Mecha Dude, August 17, 2003, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mecha Dude

Does YaBB SE play well with PHP suEXEC?
I had just added suEXEC to apache, and now YaBB SE refuses to load.

Douglas

You may need to download your files and then delete the directory, then re-upload the files.  When you use the three file installation system, the files get installed as either apache or nobody or www.  When you implement suExec, it makes every instance run as yourself, rather than apache, nobody or www.

If you do what I indicated above, your forum should work correctly again, just make sure you delete the directory AFTER you download your site, then create a new directory with your old directory's name and upload the files.  Check the FAQ's on www.yabbse.org titled "How to safeguard your site against hackers" for proper CHMOD permissions.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Mecha Dude

How about gzip and gunzip?  Or would that retain the old owndership?

Douglas

Those are managed/installed by root, with global permissions for usage.
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)

Mecha Dude

I mean, how about if I gzip the entire directory, d/l off the server, delete the old one, add in PHP suEXEC to Apache, upload the zip fle and gunzip the file so that all folders and files retain thier UID?

Douglas

Won't work, cause it retains the UID (nobody, apache, www) and permissions when you gzip stuff, which is why I suggested the path that I did.  :)
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

Mecha Dude

Alright alirght  :)
I just dislike how long it takes to uploading uncompressed files  :-*
But thank you for your help.

Mecha Dude

I tried again, doing as you suggested (I could not find that faq, but I had planned to follow the list given in the install read me :P).

While I was uploding Gallery back to the server, I had left a browser window open... and behold, the forum was working before I even so much as attempted to re-upload te files/delete them!

Gallery is still not working, oh well :P

Mecha Dude

Internet Explorer.. I LOATH you with a passion...
I was chatting to soemone while I was 'fixing' my forum that seemed to not load up...
Person said it loaded up fine.. while I could not see anythign but white empty browser window flickering the opening of index.php.

closing IE then opening a new one.. and ... arrghhh forum loads fine.. oh I LOATH IE...

[Unknown]

Quote from: Mecha Dude on August 21, 2003, 12:54:45 PM
Internet Explorer.. I LOATH you with a passion...
I was chatting to soemone while I was 'fixing' my forum that seemed to not load up...
Person said it loaded up fine.. while I could not see anythign but white empty browser window flickering the opening of index.php.

closing IE then opening a new one.. and ... arrghhh forum loads fine.. oh I LOATH IE...

I think we all loathe IE to some respect or another.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: