News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Feature requests?

Started by Orstio, April 10, 2006, 06:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orstio

With all the added features of 1.1.3, the next release (1.1.4) will most likely just be a cleanup and address the bugs reported so far.

Is there anything missing that you'd like to see in 1.1.5, that can actually be done in the bridge?

xenovanis

It would be nice to have an expansion of the online function to see where visitors are on the site rather than the forum.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

phil_roy

RSS feeds that work well. With 1.1.3 and Joomla 1.0.8 I can only get an RSS feed displaying in Safari if I switch SEO off. Even then, in Firefox the browser tries to download the file instead of display it...and the links in the Safari feed take me to an unwrapped version of the forum.

I'm assuming as I've had no reply to a post I made about it (and doing quite a bit of reading on the forum), that this is how things are at the moment, as opposed to a bug? Hence my post here as a feature request.

Phil
http://www.nzmac.com
NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac community

Orstio

That has more to do with how SMF handles the RSS output.  It doesn't exit through the same functions as the normal forum output, and so never gets buffered.

I'll see if there is a way to add an RSS integration hook for SMF 1.1 Final.

Orstio

I'll add one myself:

A template file that contains mainly HTML for the mod_smf_login module, so that users can customize their own look/feel for the module.

paki

Quote from: Orstio on April 14, 2006, 01:27:13 PM
I'll add one myself:

A template file that contains mainly HTML for the mod_smf_login module, so that users can customize their own look/feel for the module.

So something similar to Joomla/Mambo template files? That would be nice :)

Option to use regular forum URL (ex. site.com/forum) vs Joomla's url? (ex. ItemID=46&etc) Probably better off using standalone.. but hey.. worth a shot... right?:)

Quote from: Ronny on April 14, 2006, 01:40:17 PM
Maybe there is something to do so that polls would work properly inside Joomla  ::)

Why not use the SSI function (showPoll)? The only problems I see with it is that if you do it.. theres no link back to the original thread, and you have to create a poll on your boards first.. then type the topic # into the function (example: ssi_showPoll(222); ). I made a module using that where you can define which topic you want.. works out for me :)
http://www.dfwhyundais.com <-- Dallas/Ft. Worth's Local Hyundai Group

Orstio

QuoteSo something similar to Joomla/Mambo template files? That would be nice

I was thinking of a file named mod_smf_login.html.php that would also reside in the modules folder.  It would be mostly HTML, with some PHP for the variables.  It would be divided into two functions:  One for the login template, and the other for the "already logged in" template.

QuoteOption to use regular forum URL (ex. site.com/forum) vs Joomla's url? (ex. ItemID=46&etc) Probably better off using standalone.. but hey.. worth a shot... right?

I haven't heard from Predator in a while about OpenSEF.  If he can provide me with a work-around to some of the required code for SMF to work properly, I think we could get you some shorter URLs using the OpenSEF component.

Indra

How about a recent posts and last topic modules
Where the modules can be set to show posts/topics from specified boards,
preferably with an option to have different smf boards shown on different joomla pages.
Like having different joomla pages showing an overview (through recent posts and topics) of different boards.

I saw some stuff like this on the road yet i think they are for a different bridge, just wondering  if this functionality is possible/available with this bridge :D

Orstio

That depends mainly on the module, not on the bridge.

I'm sure a module could be written to handle that.

Kindred

yeah, that request is completely dependent on the module. Take the current recent posts module and modify it to do what you're talking about....    it can probably be done without changing the SSI code very much at all, just adding more parameters.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

silentz

We send out regular newsletters with many links back to SMF content to try and encourage people to read our forum, and hopefully to post more. It would be incredibly useful to be able to include an ID variable (similar to a session ID) on links so that when someone clicked on it, they were taken to the forum / post already logged in. This way they could just click reply if they wanted, rather than hunting around for what their username and password were again... You see something similar to this on the "Activate registration" link. It knows just from the link, who you are.

I imagine it could look something like:
http://www.mydomain.com/joomladir/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,83/topic,7.0/ID,3485943431

One way of securing this could be to have the bridge generate and save a random key used to encode the username and password into an ID number. This could be stored in a table with the user info and then imported quite easily into most mailing programs custom fields.
(Currently): Joomla 1.0.12 | SMF 1.1 Final | Bridge 1.16 | Life .31 Alpha
"Am I really the only one to ever wonder what a Wookie would look like shaved?"

Kindred

that is not a bridge function (and never could be) that would be an SMF function...   and a security hole as well...

Besides, if the person is logged in "forever" then when they click on the link in the newsletter, they will be logged in anyway (as long as the site that they logged in to and the link in the newsletter are the same)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bs0d

Some ideas ...

Using dynamic links in mod_smf_login module ie only show the link to private messages / new posts & new replies if any of those actually have pms , newposts or replies.

Replacing that text with custom defined images and or text (mod_smf_login)

Use of the smf login button image for the login button as per logout button image. (mod_smf_login)

bs0d.

kalligator

Hi Orstio.

Well how about some multilingual functionality?

In joomla we can get the name of the language with <?php echo $mosConfig_lang; ?>
Seeing this post over here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=17595.0 got me thinkng.

Would it be possible to pass the current language of Joomla onto the login form (and forum of course).
So that for example a guest member using Greek lang on Joomla would see the bridge login box in Greek as well, overiding the default guest language of the board.

/fingers crossed/ I hope it'd be an easy hack applicable in the current version!  :)

kalligator

How about my suggestion above, Orstio?

Orstio

QuoteIn joomla we can get the name of the language with <?php echo $mosConfig_lang; ?>

$mosConfig_lang just gives the language the admin used to install the CMS.  It is not user-definable.  In that case, it is just as easy for the admin to set the language in SMF, which would also change the language of the login module.

If you are talking about user-definable languages (like in Joomfish/Mambelfish), yes, I have been doing some research into that.

kalligator

Yes this is the case I'm talking about: Joomfish and Mambelfish.
I guess they borrow $mosConfig_lang to store the users' language pref. At least Mambelfish I know for sure, I use it to present different images according to lang.

TheOtherShoe

Would it be possible to add 'Guest' as one of the options in com_smf Groups tab drop down list?
i.e. treat an SMF group as  unregistered in Joomla for suspended accounts, etc.

Am I correct in assuming that the group assignment is based on primary SMF group only?

Using Joomla 1.0.8, SMF v1.1rc2, CB 1.0rc2, CPG 1.4.5, Bridge 1.1.4.

Orstio

QuoteWould it be possible to add 'Guest' as one of the options in com_smf Groups tab drop down list?
i.e. treat an SMF group as  unregistered in Joomla for suspended accounts, etc.

Interesting.  It can be done, but not as easily as the others.  I can see the reasoning for it, though.

Orstio

Add a warning to the Group Synch that says "You may be left without a Super Administrator if you do this" when the setting for the Admin/Super Admin is changed.

Also add a "Are you sure?  This will remove your Super Admin status." popup when clicking the Group Synch button.

Advertisement: