News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Windows server "mod_rewrite"

Started by hofmax, April 12, 2006, 09:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hofmax

Does anybody know how the mod_rewrite would work for SMF with the windows server?
I signed up to go daddy and thanks to go daddys great information policies you only realise
afterwards that they´ve switched to the windows server (probably the only hosting company in the world).

Has somebody had any experience with url rewriting using this server?

Cheers!

Max

kegobeer

Your best bet would be to Google for IIS mod_rewrite.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

H

@Kegobeer although there are rewrite modules for IIS none of them are compatible with Apaches mod_rewrite and even if they were they would still require modifying the SMF code.

@hofmax I believe that godaddy offers Linux and Windows servers on their paid plans. You will need to get a Linux plan in order to use mod_rewrite with godaddy.

If you search the forums here you will find that many people have experienced problems with godaddy as they have very restrictive hosting
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

hofmax

@ Huwnet

I know but I didn´t want to whine too much.

By the way I must have gotten this wrong. I switched to Linux but as the mod_rewrite function in the admin server settings did´t work I jumped to the conclusion that I am on the wrong server. But as I am on Linux I guess that it must be something else that causes this feature to fail.

Ben_S

SMF doesn't use mod rewrite at all.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

H

@Ben_S oops looks like I missed that

@hofmax can you find out if godaddy runs php in CGI or ISAPI mode?
Providing a phpinfo will give me the answer straight away
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

hofmax

@ Ben  It may not use mod_rewrite but it uses something to rewrite urls -> Search engine friendly URLs
Apache only!  is the box you can tick

I am getting this friendly message:

QuoteThis changes the format of URLs a little so search engines will like them better. They will look like index.php/topic,1.html.

This feature will not work on your server.

Great!

@ Huwnet

Can you tell me specifically what headings you need from the PHPINFO and I´ll look them up for you. I can tell you that the Gateway Interface is CGI if that´s what you´re looking for.

H

If it was CGI / ISAPI was all I needed to know.

Some scripts for example MediaWiki will not allow shorturls if you are running in CGI mode. I don't know if this is the case with SMF or not, however this is a possible reason.

However on one of my test servers running lighttpd I have managed to get SEO URLs working correctly using CGI mode.

I am guessing that the no-SEO when in CGI mode is an Apache thing but it may work if you remove the CGI check in the code
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Advertisement: