News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

ftp permissions

Started by lcap71, April 14, 2006, 08:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lcap71

I got this problem: smf version 1.1. RC2
I create a copy of the default theme named "SMFmodified" through the theme panel "create a copy of default", just to start modifying it without losing the default theme. When I tried to upload an image into the SMFmodified image directory, I got a permission denied message. Uploading it to the corresponding folder of classic and babylon theme (that are packed with RC2 installation) worked perfectly. Properties of SMFmodified image directory is 755, same of classic and babylon.
The only difference is that in the properties (FTP Voyager) of classic and babylon user is 716, while for default and SMFmodified is 60001.
Trying to change the properties returns unable to set permissions.
I then tried to change it through cleanup permissions in the package section:
it ask me for  FTP Information Required:
in ftp server appeared :localhost

I put in pwd and username as I know from the host provider and any combination for local path to SMf, including the one that is displayed in server settings.
Also changing ftp server from local host to the real ftp server address (the same I use with ftp voyager that works) gave always the same error "no such directory"

I don't know what to do: it seems like copies of the default theme are generated with strange user permissions

redone

You should be able to right click the new folder that was created by copying the default theme and change the permission to 755 or 777.

lcap71

This is the problem..right click on SMFmodified/images folder says it is already 755..any attempts to change it returns "unablet to set file permissions", while you can transfer a file under SMFmodified directory..it is the images folder the problem

lcap71

Problem solved through package manager.
Path to SMF directory  displayed in server settings is :
/home/ftponly/users/smfuser/htdocs

Path to be specified in FTP info (package manager) : htdocs
user:smfuser
ftp server: the real ftp server name

Then set all files rewritable in cleanup permissions adn after I was able to transfer fiels into the images directory in SMFmodified/images...
It is not clear to me why I cannot do the same change in file permissions from ftp voyager client
THX anyway

Advertisement: