Help Us Out Please

Started by David, March 26, 2004, 01:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

As many of you know, Peter and the team have been working quite heavily on documentation for upcoming releases.  Right now what we need is for you to let us know which of the icons either don't work or are not very useful.  Please just post them here.  We are also happy to hear any specific suggestions about documentation.  Thanks! :)
This space for rent.

eFishie

Personally, I've always found all of them hard to understand.

To do these good, you need to . . . *gasp!* . . . THINK N00B!
--Jon

Abstraction Point Electronic Music Community - We don't bite! Really! I promise!

Check out my newest song: Alive

Beaman

What I have found is the 'Manage Membergroups' has the info on the header. The help window, itself, is blank. The info might look better compiled into the window instead of across the header. Just mentioning a thought to help out.
When the day comes that my internet connection fails, is the day I return back to reality. *Ewww*

[Unknown]

Quote from: Beaman on March 26, 2004, 02:18:26 AM
What I have found is the 'Manage Membergroups' has the info on the header. The help window, itself, is blank. The info might look better compiled into the window instead of across the header. Just mentioning a thought to help out.

I agree; But I'm not sure.  For consistency, it might be best to keep the text there, but I also think it could look better...

-[Unknown]

Beaman

It's a tough call, I'm kind of half and half there as well. lol    I guess the text could stay and the help.gif and script could be modded out? Or some more info could launch from the window, that would be the easiest I suppose.
When the day comes that my internet connection fails, is the day I return back to reality. *Ewww*

[Unknown]

Well, I'm not neccessarily looking for the easiest solution, but rather the best solution.

However, this does help.  What we're looking for is, basically:
  - blank [?] popups.
  - sections that are missing [?] but should have them.
  - areas with less-than-helpful [?] popup windows.
  - incorrectly documented sections.

This includes things that are commonly asked about or sorta confusing; for example, the cvs has a little "why isn't moderator here?" link in the profile's account settings next to primary group - because you can't set them as moderator from there.

As well, some layout has changed making [?] popups talk about things that aren't there or have moved... and not mention at all new things.

-[Unknown]

Beaman

If I happen to notice more, I'll report it. I launched it earlier today so I'll keep looking if anything appears out of the norm, but it's been great and I'm sure it will continue  to do so.  :D

A.M.A

Edit Permissions --> Apply pre-defined permission profile

If I may suggest .. how about some tutorials! i.e. suppose you are at the 'Edit Features and Options' there will be a 'Tutorial's icon' that list some common tasks that you can do in this section. Ex. How to allow members to select an external avatar? How to make a new avatar category ? ..etc
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

Oldiesmann

In the "Edit Permissions" section, for "Moderate Board":
QuoteThe moderate board permission adds a few small permissions that make a moderator a real moderator. Permissions include replying to locked topics, changing the poll expire time and viewing poll results eventhough

I also find this a bit confusing because you have this permission for the "unregistered guests" group. This is next to "Vote in Polls":
QuoteThis permission allows a (registered) user to cast one vote. It doesn't apply to guests.

Other than that and the one "blank" help window that has already been mentioned, everything seems fine.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Jack.R.Abbit™

The [?] for the calendar settings...  it seems to be one of the few areas that has all the help jammed into one [?].  Does not make it very easy to add additional calendar settings... unless you add the additional help info right to the existing help info.  that might not have made sense... but I can't word any other way.

Killer Possum

The "Enable SP1 style statistics on board index" in the theme settings sould use a '?' again, or be called something else.

I know what it is because I've used YaBB and YaBBSE as well as many of our YaBBSE members, but for some of our newcomers they may look at that and say... "SP1 style? What the Hell is that?";)

Oldiesmann

Yeah... That would be a good idea. After the YaBB SE site disappears, the connection between SMF and the current perl-based YaBB forum system is going to slowly disappear, and we don't want to confuse people. Most people won't know that "SP1" refers to YaBB Gold Service Pack 1.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

^Raven^

When using Firefox I'm unable to see the white arrow/triangles (they face to the right) in the Edit Features and Settings part of the Admin Center.  Also, the menu doesn't show when using Firefox.  It only works with my main URL of forum.warhammerforum.com.  I'm noticing this when using my laptop but haven't checked with my desktop or file server yet.
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

Public Relations Coordinator, Battlestar Galactica Wiki

[Unknown]

I use Firefox without issue.

-[Unknown]

^Raven^

I noticed this only happens on my laptop and it has me perplexed why my Dell Inspiron 8500 would be having problems with it now.
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

[Unknown]

Maybe it's a caching/hotlinking issue?  Do you have hotlinking disabled?

-[Unknown]

^Raven^

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 17, 2004, 01:20:56 AM
Maybe it's a caching/hotlinking issue?  Do you have hotlinking disabled?

-[Unknown]

Nope I don't have hotlinking disabled but I think I'm gonna clear my temporary internet files and such to see if that helps.
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

sensovision

I see something strange in admin board, just about this text:
   "Email new password if a user changes his/her email address?"

there is quesiton mark which provide you with blank pop-up window, later there is no text and drop down menu which is blank as well. It contain 4 options from which I could only see text in the 4th one

sensovision

my apologies, this was caused by using old language file, now when I've figure this out it's fixed and all messages are shown.

xzxzzx

Under "Edit Features and Options", the item "Disable output caching" ("disableCaching") has the help text "Checking this box will make your forum more secure." - not only is that not very descriptive, it doesn't sound right.
I can't see how header('Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate');
header('Pragma: no-cache');
would make one's forum more secure - but then, maybe I just need to be shown the light.

Advertisement: