News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

PM logging Mod

Started by bros, April 20, 2006, 05:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bros

I believe that a mod that would log every PM sent on the boards would be useful.

If there already is one and I couldn't find it on the mods site, could someone link to one that is compatable with 1.0.7?

jerm

if i understand, wouldn't this breach the privacy of your members?

Jump1979man

You can already see every pm anyway within the database.....as long as they dont delete it first.

jerm

that wasn't my point. making a mod to make it as simple as clicking a few buttons to view the members pm, is different than knowning how to write the proper sql statement to view pm's..

bros

Quote from: Jump1979man on April 21, 2006, 12:32:44 AM
You can already see every pm anyway within the database.....as long as they dont delete it first.

Could you tell me where it is in the database?

Dus1tin

dude why do you want to spy on your members?
[nofollow]

URPG

It's not a matter of spying, if you want integreate an automated message to the member that his mail has been read by an admin...

it's a matter of being able to read PM if accuses like "A has send me evil PM" or "B has send me Evil PM first" occur. It's a hell lot of work to go through the PM's in Database and you may miss some if they have already been deleted. Like being able to reset a users Password, this is a matter of security.

If someone does plan to take over the world PM's in a BB are not the right place for security and privacy anyway.

Jump1979man

Quote from: bros on April 21, 2006, 07:08:50 PM
Quote from: Jump1979man on April 21, 2006, 12:32:44 AM

Could you tell me where it is in the database?

`smf_personal_messages`

Alan S

maybe hes talking about just logging the details of the pm that was sent not the content just the sender and recipetent?
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

redone

Either way I really don't think is a good idea. It opens up the whole privacy issue and I am sure most forum admins wish to avoid conflicts with members over spying over pm's.

Alan S

neither do i............im all for the privacy thing i was just suggesting that might have been what he was on about
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

Harzem

Let them use "report PM to admin" feature. Can be set in Admin panel.

Defiant

Quote from: jerm on April 20, 2006, 09:49:15 PM

I'm looking for a board now that has this mod myself.  It could been seen as you state yes but what they dont know what hurt them.  I want to keep an eye on trouble causers and member stealers simple as

SkyFlyer

Quote from: jerm on April 20, 2006, 09:49:15 PM

Yes it would. Perhaps have the mod create a checkbox field on the registration page stating that you understand that your PMs might be read by the administrators?

Sorry, but I'm not a sympathiser for people who claim privacy on the internet... Once you hit the submit button, its on someone elses computer and there is nothing you can do about it.

If you want to be private, send an email or talk in person.

Defiant

So can someone do this mod for those who arn't squamish because no one would be forcing them to use it ?

URPG

This discussion is going on and on...

I'd like to have this mod too, maybe with a function that a PM has been read by / submitted to a Moderator. If you are afraid of spying, trying to do illegal arrangements via internet or simply paranoid a bulletin board would be my last guess for a secure place... PM's can already be read at any time! It's just a matter of comfort if you need to find a specific PM and have to browse with some freeware SQL tool that sucks for maneuvers like this...

Defiant

Anyone please  :( even if its by pm because its on another site this mod if used on most sites to keep track of troublesome memebers

OzExcalibur

It would be a handy mod to check if someone is spamming members with links to other forums

Advertisement: