News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF Compatible Document Collaboration Server in Java

Started by al3x, April 26, 2006, 06:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al3x

Here is the story. I am making a Java program for my component-based software engineering course, which is a program to allow multiple users to collaborate on writing documents over the net. (think of it as a kind of enhanced wiki). Once completed, the program will allow users to create and store programs on the server, add other users as authors to these documents who in turn will be able to edit the document at any time. It will also have a chat feature so if more than one users are logged in at the same time, they can discuss the changes to the document. The program works with a client/server model so there has to be a java program running on a machine that is online and acts as a server (not necessairily the one where the database is, read below), and the users have to download a java client program (in the range of 30-40 kb).

What does SMF have to do with all this? The twist is that while making the database side, i have made it so that it uses SMF's scheme of storing users and the such, so it can be used with any SMF MySQL database, effectively making it possible to use this system for the members of any SMF forum, no matter how modded it is. I have tested it with SMF 1.1RC2, but it should work with previous versions if the fields for member id, member name and password hash have not changed.

I understand that at this point there are many limitations to this program however i want to ask if there is any interest for me to make it available and continue its development after i hand it in as an assignment. I believe there is much that can be done with this program. I have  checked with the university and there is no problem with open-sourcing the code after i hand it in.

Looking forward to your replies,
Alexandros

p.s. if this is the wrong place to post this, by all means move it. I was undecided between posting here and posting in the bridge board.

H

Posting here is fine :D

By all means open-source it. Wiki / Collaboration has previously been requested as a mod :D
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Leipe Po

would be great, could easly be modded to a project manager, with file editor ande stuff,
cool idea,

and opensource is gennerally the best so, go for it!!!!!!!
There is only one thing more importend to me then coding:
My Girlfriend

Microsoft - "You've got questions.  We've got dancing paperclips."

Advertisement: