A suggestion to make mods work with themes

Started by winrules, May 01, 2006, 06:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winrules

OK, I know a lot of people complain the mods won't work with themes. And there is no way to solve this, for all mods, on all themes. But how about if we made it standard for all themes (this would require cooperation for theme authors) to have calls to functions in the sources at various points that are commonly modified by mods. For example, right below the post count in display.template.php, you could have a call to "theme_under_postcount()" (or whatever function). Then all themes would modify the function (somewhere in /Sources), and that wouldn't be theme dependant (the function wouldn't do anything on a default install). I know it would be impossible to make all mods theme compatible, but if those function were inserted in just a few commonly modified spots, it would help a lot. Any comments?

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods
Please do not PM me for support.

gamesmad

That is a great idea, it would make things so much simpler for people wanting to just "use" SMF.  It would have to have a name or something, so that mods and themes could say that they were compatible.  I am willing to work on a project like this, and maybe we could demonstrate a theory that could convince developers that its a good idea.  Anyone want to help me??

(200th post >:()

Will
1 on 1 SMF Help - Want 1 on 1 SMF Help? Post in Help Wanted or drop me a message!

Go Charter! - Please consider becoming a charter member to support SMF development.

Please do not PM me with general questions, posting in the appropriate board will ensure everyone benefits from the advice given.

HoVV

I've seen a ton of communities using SMF, but more than 90% of them using the default skin.
So if you're using another skin on your board and want to use a couple of mods, the Package Manager becomes kinda useless because of this  :-[

@winrules: your idea is GREAT!

Dannii

Actually the package manager works very well. Most themes only change a few templates, so mods that edit other templates work too.

winrules, your idea has potential, but the massive speed decreases of those new functions means it probably won't happen.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

gamesmad

Im going to have a go myself, I will give you credit for the concept winrules.

Will
1 on 1 SMF Help - Want 1 on 1 SMF Help? Post in Help Wanted or drop me a message!

Go Charter! - Please consider becoming a charter member to support SMF development.

Please do not PM me with general questions, posting in the appropriate board will ensure everyone benefits from the advice given.

Captain_Morrigan

In my personal opinion it's a good idea but not the greatest idea for, like myself, I do not like having a mod controlling the layout of my site. I choose where what goes. Your idea says add some places in the theming that will call functions in certain places well what if those places, no matter how numerous, are not where I want my mods will I have to continue to manually edit all of my files to edit this causing, as eldacar pointed out, slowing of my forum and the inability to utilize the function that you want us to use.

I can see how you have a valid point but for those that edit their themes or create themes they should not be forced to spend more time to add functionality for mods that were not originally in the install of SMF.

I hope I don't sound redundant but this modification would be more of a hassle in my opinion.

Advertisement: