News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Show unread posts since last visit.

Started by MrCue, April 05, 2004, 11:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrCue

"Show unread posts since last visit."
Recently, when i click this link, it shows me nothing as new. Yet Most of the boards are marked as new, and the new replies link works.

This has been since that awful PHPBB bug.
I am neither a Pessimist nor an Optimist, Just a Realist.

Eve-Online Forum | View Latest Eve-Online Kills | Site Map | SMF Installation

[Unknown]

It's based off sessions.. in other words, since you last were at this site and closed your browser.

-[Unknown]

MrCue

I am neither a Pessimist nor an Optimist, Just a Realist.

Eve-Online Forum | View Latest Eve-Online Kills | Site Map | SMF Installation

HRM

Hmm...this seems great...Based off eh?
Gonna check that too cause at once" Show unread posts since last visit." doesnt show all the unread things anymore. and that all happens when I let one of my moderators check the admin section.

Or wasnt't it there? I'm looking around now but can't reallly find it although I'm sure I have seen it before.
Anybody an advise?

Thanks in advance.
Ed
To install something for the cat's 'cut' is never nice..... (old dutch saying) :D

[Unknown]

I'm adding a darn link to show "all unread posts ever" or something.

-[Unknown]

NoRad

This is something that drives me crazy because sometimes I'll hit the site at work and need to close the browser before finishing all unread posts since last visit. Well, when I come back to the site, those posts are still UNREAD since my last visit... So why are they gone? =/

Here is a suggestion from one of my users:

QuoteYeah, the feature works in that when you log on, and as an example you choose show unread posts since last visit.

When you click it and the list of threads with new posts pop up, next to each thread title is an arrow, or some other icon. When you click that arrow it takes you to the first reply that was posted after you left. So that you start exactly where you left off, no searching. Great for people with bad memories, or if a thread blows up while you're away and added a bunch of pages.

Doesn't seem like it should be too hard to implement since the software tracks new posts anyways. It would just be a simple link feature. Not big into forum design, but the code seems simple enoughin my head. Seems they would have the module ready to drop in for it.

Also, I remember a feature from snitz where I could do all new posts since --- 2 hours ago, 6 hours, 12 hours, etc...

This way if you missed something due to my reason above you could select the alternative option to show those new posts.

[Unknown]

It has this feature.  Click the word "new".

-[Unknown]

NoRad

I'm not seeing it? I see "Show new replies to your posts" but this link is not the same thing.

NoRad

Nevermind, I know what you're talking about.

What about the show new posts in last 6 hours etc?

[Unknown]

That wouldn't be too hard, but what's wrong with "all unread posts"?

-[Unknown]

NoRad

Quote from: [Unknown] on December 13, 2004, 07:43:54 PM

-[Unknown]

If you close the browser and then log back in on my site and then click all unread posts it shows up empty?

[Unknown]

Quote from: Radianation on December 13, 2004, 09:20:43 PM
Quote from: [Unknown] on December 13, 2004, 07:43:54 PM

-[Unknown]

If you close the browser and then log back in on my site and then click all unread posts it shows up empty?

Click "all"....

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=unread;all

-[Unknown]

NoRad

[Unknown]

NoRad

I'm sorry, but I still don't see that. Is it in my preferences or something?

Peter Duggan

NoRad

I believe I'm using the SMF default theme and I can't see it on this site.

[Unknown]

If you go here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=unread

It's at the very bottom.  If there have been no posts since your last visit, the message should say:

No unread topics found since your last visit. Click here to try all unread topics.

What does it say for you?

-[Unknown]

NoRad

There it is. I see it now. I'm not sure why I could never see that before. Thanks.

szinski

Here's an idea:

Change the behavior of the "Show unread posts since last visit" to only include expanded (non-collapsed) categories.

That way a user can collapse all of the categories that they're not interested in reading and the unread posts option will skip over them.

Peter Duggan

So what if you've collapsed categories to keep your board view tidy but still rely on the unread feature?

szinski

Just trying to come up with an idea that would allow users to "unsubscribe" from a particular category or board when viewing unread posts since last visit.  :-\

NoRad

Brilliant. This would be nice since I have some forums for gamers, some for music lovers, etc... The non-gamers might not want to be bothered with new posts in a gaming area...

adamspt2

I'm having the same issue. I've read several posts and I think I'm missing a piece. So if someone would care to comment if I'm actually getting this...

It's based off sessions - meaning you're on the site, you close your browser without signing off, someone posts something - that post is not? going to show up as 'new post since last visit'? So the solution is either only use the 'show all unread posts' or always log out prior to closing the browser? Is that right?

[Unknown]

Not at all.  Every time you visit the forum, for the first time - that's a visit.  Whether you log in or log off has absolutely nothing to do with anything, and doesn't matter one bit.

It is based on sessions, yes.  I'm not sure you know exactly what that means, programming wise - but no one would expect you to, nor do you need to.  Suffice it to say that if you visit the forum, any posts made AFTER your visit, *EVEN WHILE YOU ARE BROWSING/READING/POSTING*, are counted toward your NEXT visit, but will also show on THIS visit.  Here's a more visual example:

--- You registered here.
Post #1
Post #2 <-- you read this one.
Post #3
--- Your last visit...
Post #4
Post #5
---- Here's you visiting again!
Post #6

If you were to click on "view unread posts since last visit", posts #4, 5, and 6 would show up.  Posts 1 and 2 would not, since they are before your last visit.  If, then, you were to close your browser windows, restart your computer, and then come back... only post #6 would be shown.

This behavior would not change in any way if you logged out before closing your browseres, and then logged in again.

-[Unknown]

NoRad

I still get requests to be able to show all new posts in the past 1 hour, 2 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, day ...

HRM

Maybe you just want the read ALL new messages since last visit.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=unread;all

This one does it fo me.
To install something for the cat's 'cut' is never nice..... (old dutch saying) :D

Tam

Quote from: Radianation on April 15, 2005, 07:56:19 PM
I still get requests to be able to show all new posts in the past 1 hour, 2 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, day ...

I have to admit I really love how Snitz handle the active topics. It will group the new posts by forumsections, you can choose how far back you want to display new/recent topics etc. See screenshot below. This is the only part I really miss in SMF.

NoRad

Read through this whole thread and you'll see that this is something I already requested and thanks to [unknown] I was able to implement it nicely in SMF without trouble. However, the all new posts in the past 1 hour, 2 hours, 6 hours, etc... is nowhere near the same as the "all unread posts" feature, and while this has already been suggested it just doesn't do the job.

The show posts since last visit and show all unread posts feature is becomming less useful by the day on our forum. There are just too many forums and too many topics for everyone to read them all, so the show all unread posts lists DAYS upon DAYS of topics. Maybe somebody just wants to see what's new in the last hour? =)

HRM

there's nothing wrong with this mod . One only needs to understand the way it works and interpretates a visit.
At first I didn't got the point and when I finally got it I was still not happy until I saw the "Unread All" option and that seemed to be the one that I was looking for all the time :D

And I was all happy! But I have to admit, there has been a lot of my forum members that i had to mention it cause they were not seing it.

So then I made i direkt link to that on the the portal and the complaining stopped.

It's a great function!

Advertisement: