News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Why must the copyright display the version?

Started by bjornbjorn, September 02, 2006, 11:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjornbjorn

Yes, I know - it's security through obscurity, *but* it works! .. removing the version number from the template will make the number of hacking attempts on my site go down drastically.

Script kids google for "powered by" + "smf 1.0.7" the second an exploit is out.

So, my suggestion is that the version number only is displayed for administrators.

What do you think?

- bjorn
43min - start teh lol [nofollow] - root.no [nofollow] norwegian tech site - skitX [nofollow] norwegian entrepreneur forum

zeeman48

It sounds like it might be a viable solution. However, you would really have to start doing it the minute your site went up because otherwise, people could simply recognise the signs of what version it is or when you update it and know that you are using (for example) SMF 1.0.7 which means they can hack it anyway.

codenaught

This has been discussed many times.

Removing the version number from the copyright is allowed. There is even a post made by a developer for the best way to do it without having somethings run faulty for the admin.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

bjornbjorn

really? Cause I tried to remove the version number only and got a message saying I was using an illegal copy of SMF.

- bjorn
43min - start teh lol [nofollow] - root.no [nofollow] norwegian tech site - skitX [nofollow] norwegian entrepreneur forum

bjornbjorn

Found the solution here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=82579.0

.. and it worked great.

I do however still think SMF should ship with the functionality I described in my first post by default. There is no need to have the version number indexed in Google.

- bjorn

Advertisement: