News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

need some help setting up on home server

Started by loudastrovan, June 01, 2006, 09:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loudastrovan

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC2
hello

I'm trying to set this up on a home server.

I have installed apache 2.2 for windows and mysql 5.0.

Its been a few yrs since I have done this type of work, I used invision and myibportal in the past, seeing how invision got greedy and my dear friend Kevin isn't coding anymore I turned to SMF and tinyportal.

when I bring up in mt browser hxxp:localhost/smf/install.php [nonactive]  all i get is code.

what did I do wrong? any and all Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David

loudastrovan

well i didnt know i had to have php installed as well, not solved yet but I am installing php now to see if that fixes my issues.

I will report back when i get done.

David

shaungo

I am in your boat.  I am setting up SMF on my own 2000 Advanced server for my family and friends to keep in touch.  I had to install MySQL on the server.  It shows as running.  But when I went to install PHP it just seems to be on there and not up.  And certainly doesn't show up anywhere as running.  Is is supposed to?  And SMF is there and wont go.  So I will be keen to see who else posts too!
Shaun

jerm

This might shed some light on your situtation and would be a good read:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=2.0;sort=subject

loudastrovan

I have php installed, used the win installer but, i have to manually set up apache modules or cgi and its kicken my butt.

anyone have experience in setting up apache modules i could use some help

thanks

so far i have installed
apache 2.2
mysql 5.0
and php5

loudastrovan

ok I now have php Installed as CGI binary

so now when I try to run the installer for smf i get
You don't have permission to access /php/php-cgi.exe/smf/install.php on this server.
and I have no Idea how to give myself permission LOL

I am getting closer, I think heh

any suggestions ??

David

kegobeer

Remove PHP and install it manually.  Do not use the PHP installer.  If you read the PHP docs on the php.net site, they don't even recommend using the installer.  Download the manual install zip file and follow the install instructions on the php.net site.  There is a whole section for how to install on Windows.  Do not install as a cgi, install it as a module.  Follow the manual installation steps.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

loudastrovan

Quote from: kegobeer on June 02, 2006, 07:17:19 AM
Remove PHP and install it manually.  Do not use the PHP installer.  If you read the PHP docs on the hxxp:php.net [nonactive] site, they don't even recommend using the installer.  Download the manual install zip file and follow the install instructions on the hxxp:php.net [nonactive] site.  There is a whole section for how to install on Windows.  Do not install as a cgi, install it as a module.  Follow the manual installation steps.

I knew someone was gonna say that, I did read that they don't reccomend the installer, but installing php is such a pain in the butt.   I tried before using the installer and I just couldn't get it, the instructions are not the easiest to follow.

David

kegobeer

What don't you understand about the instructions?  Go to these links in order:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.manual.php
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.apache2.php

Make sure to install PHP as an Apache module.  Another thing to keep in mind is that you can't use XP Home to run the test server (or at the least it won't run worth a crap).
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

loudastrovan

Quote from: kegobeer on June 02, 2006, 01:09:16 PM
What don't you understand about the instructions?  Go to these links in order:

hxxp:www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php [nonactive]
hxxp:www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.manual.php [nonactive]
hxxp:www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.apache2.php [nonactive]

Make sure to install PHP as an Apache module.  Another thing to keep in mind is that you can't use XP Home to run the test server (or at the least it won't run worth a crap).

thanks for the links i will give this a go

and Im running windows xp pro

thanks agian
David

borbosha

Not sure if you got it fixed but figured this might help you out.

Apache Friends - XAMPP [nofollow]

This is a self installer file that will install a fully configured apache web server with filezilla FTP, MySQL and PHP support. You will need to go in a close a couple small security holes as this is more a development type thing for internal use but it should get the basics going without trouble.

Oh and you also get phpmyadmin for MySQL management.

Good luck!

"It seems one thing has been true all along, you don't really know what you've got 'till it's gone." - Fort Minor

Advertisement: