News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

License / Copyright ?

Started by roxpace, June 17, 2006, 11:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roxpace

Hi,

Some questions concering the license!

1. If I create a website which include SMF and I sell that site, am I breaking your license ? If yes, then almost all websites are illegal with SMF and made by a web design company for a customer with SMF.

The license say this under Agreement #1:

• c. This Package, Modified Packages, and derivative works may not be sold or released under any paid license. Copying fees for the transport of this Package, support fees for installation or other services, and hosting fees for hosting the Software may, however, be imposed.
  • d. Any Distribution of this Package, whether as a Modified Package or not, requires express written consent from Lewis Media.

2. If I develop a Mod (modification) but to integrate with the other pages of the site design I need to move or remove the copyright, is that possible with payment or some kind of agreement ?

The license say this under Agreement #2:

• a. A Modification must not alter or remove any copyright notices in the Software or Package, generated or otherwise.

3. If I develop a Mod (modification) you say in your license terms that it will maybe automatically be a part your future package release and also as I intepret a part of your license, but still also will remain under the developers license. But if the initial Mod developers license also do not accept any 2nd or 3rd part distribution of the scripts, which license is legal, the initial developers of the Mod or SMF ?

The license say this under Agreement #2:

• b. When a Modification to the Package is released, a non-exclusive royalty-free right is granted to Lewis Media to distribute the Modification in future versions of the Package provided such versions remain available under the terms of this Agreement in addition to any other license(s) of the initial developer.
  • c. Any Distribution of a Modified Package or derivative requires express written consent from Lewis Media.

4. Is it ok to make a script package which extracts data directly from SMF database like your SSI.php for PHP, Perl, other languages and same and different purposes ?

Thanks in advance !

Sincerely
/R
Always keep an eye on the latest from me at ...
http://www.jump-gate.com/

rakuli

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=36056.0

I cannot answer your question as this can only be answered by the SMF team however, the above link was a minefield of copyright questions, you might want to have a read of it.

Dannii

1. Selling a website/forum is different from distributing SMF for download, so it's fine to do so.

2. The SMF copyright statement only needs to be present in SMF. If you're using SSI.php or something else integrated with SMF, it's not required.

3. We'll probably respect the Mod author's wishes for not distributing it. Besides, if a mod was so popular that it got included in the main code, the devs would recode it from scratch anyways, so there'd be no issues.

4. Of course.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Advertisement: