News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

call topic on site.. but leave out the topic...

Started by silverdragonrs, June 18, 2006, 03:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverdragonrs

ok... so i am going to put my site on a foreign server... i do not want to upload my main pages everytime i make a change so i would like to set it up so that i can call data from sithin the forum.... i have a few ideas on how to do this...

i can write my site in such a way so that all feilds that i alter daily are simply includes or calls from within the forum.... set up an admin only board in the forum and call a post into the site... example..

setup table "welcome message" on my home page.. put the ssi function call in the tables data area...

create a admin only board. and post a new topic.. welcome message....

now when ever i write in the topic welcome message then the contects of that post are forwarded to the home page..

i would like to know how to do this... and one more thing

i want to make sure to leave out the topic title and user info and such.. and just display the post contents..

can this be done? and how....?

please.. you may need to spell it out for me.. i can coppy code and change domain name and path info but i dont know how to set up variables and settings and such... sorry...

thank you,
danny

ps i hope this makes sense... im half asleep...
I'd like to quote my idol. Homer Simpson. "Press any key now!... Any Key? Where's the any key?!... Doh!" ---- One day I'll be that good with computers..... ~ danny ~ feel free to IM me about anything!

silverdragonrs

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=6883.0   - (EDIT) well the link on the first message of this topic does not bring up anything for me.... so "NEXT?" (EDIT) -

ok.. this sounds like it would do what i want it to do.... but will it just post the post contents and not the poster info and date and time and topic title and all that other stuff.... i am not sure what a CMS is but i am thinking it is some kind of way to autamatically update text on your site from an off server location... in wich case this would be perfect for me... just want to be absolutely sure this is what i want before adding the mod...

thanks,
danny
I'd like to quote my idol. Homer Simpson. "Press any key now!... Any Key? Where's the any key?!... Doh!" ---- One day I'll be that good with computers..... ~ danny ~ feel free to IM me about anything!

silverdragonrs

my guess is that i could do some of what i need with this

<?php ssi_boardNews(); ?>

but what do i put in the () part to show the board i want .... and how do i leave out the topic name and user info and such... ?

(edit)

hmm i cant seem to figure out what i need to do exactly to get what i want...

to use boardnews() i would simply put the board number/id in the () right? now... is there anyway to do what i said before... and make it so that only the most recent post on that board was displayed..

thank you,
danny
(again)

<edit again>

ok... so i found this...
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=13016.msg111612#msg111612

this sounds like what i need...  now if only i could get a yes thats what you need from somebody who knows this stuff ;)

but one... how do i add something like this into my document... which is nothing more than html renamed to php and
two.. what part of this is the part that tells me the board number/id... (still trying to find the part that lets me display only the most recent reply on said board.. )

$array = ssi_boardNews(5, null, null, null, 'array');

foreach ($array as $news)
   {
      echo '
         <table border="0" width="100%" align="center" class="ssi_table">
            <tr>
               <td>', $news['body'], '<br /><br /></td>
            </tr>
         </table>
         <br />';

if (!$news['is_last'])
         echo '
         <hr width="100%" />
         <br />';
   }

thank you
again
danny

Advertisement: